question

evhaandel avatar image
evhaandel asked

Test a Quattro without battery?

For my DIY powerwall project I can buy a hardly used Quattro 48/5000/70. Sadly the seller cannot show the device in a working setup, The story is that the new Quattro was changed some years ago for another system/brand. After sitting on a shelf for some years he now whats to sell the Quattro.

Anyone tips on testing a Quattro that is not in a working setup? Or is it a big gamble?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargervictron products
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

evhaandel avatar image evhaandel commented ·

The seller did send me some pictures of the unit. Sadly its a version with the old microprocessor which cannot be updated with the 4xx firmware which I need for ESS.

So I have to continue the search for a good used 48/5000 multiplus or quattro or do some saving for a new unit.

0 Likes 0 ·
img-0665.jpg (99.7 KiB)
2 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

The least I'd personally want to see is that it powers up when connected to the AC-in and can then be interrogated with ve.configure. No battery required. I stand to be corrected as I only did it with my Multiplus II. Also, obvious faults may also be shown through led error lights. Just be aware older firmware may not be compatible with ESS so another thing to check.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

If you are not the gambling sort, then you'll really want to see it working (inverting and charging) with a battery, preferably with a sensible AC load on it.
If the seller is true to their claims to have simply changed brands then it will probably be fine.
Of course the risk is for you to evaluate.

2 |3000