question

richie-gorrod avatar image
richie-gorrod asked

Isolating transformer or Galvanic Isolator

Hello,

I live on a Dutch barge on a permeant mooring with a land line supply of 63a 1ph.

This feeds into an isolating transfromer from Energy Solutions and then into 2 x Quatros 5kva running ESS,

With everything turned off on the Secondary side of the transformer I am still getting 3 amps of draw from the primary.

A couple of questions.

this is a 15kVa transformer. Is this normal for an idle current draw?

If the transformer is failing can I swap to a Galvanic isolator instead. The transformer is pretty heavy and will be a big job to get the old one out and the new 1 in.

Happy to do it but if I can do with Galvanic isolate then so much the better.

Pretty new to this side of things but hoping for someone out there could help.

Many thanks.

Rich

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Yes, the isolation Transformer will consume some amps, at idle.

If the transformer is failing can I swap to a Galvanic isolator instead

What makes you think the Isolation Transformer is failing?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

If you have good shore power at the correct voltage, there's no need for an isolation transformer. Simply bypass it and put the galvanic isolator into the earth lead.

2 |3000

richie-gorrod avatar image
richie-gorrod answered ·

Thanks both for your comments.

I am not sure if the transformer is failing. My simple brain says it is a coil with voltage passing thru it therefore pulls a current. Either it works or it doesn’t. Just surprised at it pulling 3 amps.

Thanks again.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic