question

kdagley avatar image
kdagley asked

Isolation Transformer cooling fan broken?

How can I tell if my 3600W Isolation Transformer’s cooling fan is working? I have never seen it on, even when the unit is obviously hot and running near max load for some time. It’s a 5 year old unit and I’ve been using it for several months now.

I read that the transformer should shut down if it overheats, but fortunately that hasn’t happened either.

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ben avatar image
ben answered ·

I don't have your specific transformer, but my Victron fans tend to spin up pretty early in my experience.

I also had an autotransformer with a fan that would not come on at all (and it would overheat). This was replaced under warranty, but it was a standard 24VDC muffin fan that you could find anywhere. The problem is, the fan might have been okay, and it could be the thermostat/control hardware that was at fault.

But if you really want to start diagnosing, I'd pull the fan DC leads out and see if it spins up, first.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jmarc avatar image
Jmarc answered ·

Hi,

Not an answer, but we also have two new itr unit. For one of them we noticed the alarm light and the fan not running. Since we are in Thailand, replacement hard to get.

Interested in getting any info on how to troubleshoot fan VS hardware. Fan seems to want to run. I can see it oscillating. May be internal motor phase died?

2 |3000

wanderer avatar image
wanderer answered ·

We also have a failed fan on our 4 year old 3600. It will start to rotate, then stop, then start again, moving maybe 1/2 a blade, then stop, and sort of "quiver". Sometimes it will start up and run for 3 or 4 seconds, then stop and go back to quivering. Red overheat light is on. It is a 120mm fan, but does anyone know for sure what voltage the fan is?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic