question

hanski avatar image
hanski asked

The AC out from multiplus

I have onnected 6 panels of 275W with two individual (3 panels in both) MPPT 150/85 Tr solar charger connected into battery bank of 1200Ah via LYNX IN bushbar. I have a MultiplusCompact inverter charger 12V 3000KVA for 230V. I have bluetooth smartdongle and BMV-700 for adjusting the chargers and Multiplus with my laptop and iPAD. I have a battery bank of PzS 1200 Ah/12V semi traction battery bank consisting of six pieces of 2V/1200Ah batteries.

I have an HONDA 2,2kW generator for Multiplus charger.

When I charged the battery using the multi, did the voltage in the cabin network rise to 254V? What is causing this?

In inverter mode, when power is taken from the battery without an external aggregate, the output from the Multiplus inverter is 230V and in the cabin network the voltage is ofcoarse the same.

And then one more question.

When I was charging the battery with the generator via Multi and the Multiplus was in the inverter mode, there was a voltage of 110V between the N and PE wires in the sockets.

Whe the generator was shut off there was 0V between N and PE wires. That is the correct value. My ground rely in Multi is in position enabled.

My electrical network is grounded according to the TN-S principle. Does the fact that I have the so-called earthing relay activated affect it?

ac
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Hanski

The inverter synchronises to the incoming power and voltage so if you are getting a higher voltage on the output, that is what the generator is sending in.

When inverting, the 230v is what the inverter determines for itself.

You should have 0v between PE and N.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Some generators do not bond neutral and earth. Inverter generators without bonding will often have half voltage between L and neutral, and half voltage between neutral and earth. This issue can usually be solved by bonding the neutral and earth at the generator.

I believe the bonding relay in the inverter opens on incoming ac power, so if this is the case then you probably have a simple bonding issue as far as the generator is concerned. With the generator off and not connected to anything, check to see if there is continuity between neutral and earth on the generator output.

2 |3000

hanski avatar image
hanski answered ·

Hi Thomas. I attached here the wiring schema of my HONDA generator. There can you see the wiring principle. I have connected the generators GND point into the main earthing busbar of my AC network with copper wire of 16mm2. Earlier I have used the generator without that GND. After buing the MultiplusCompact and after making the TN-S wiring for my 230V network I have done this earthing system. You say that "This issue can usually be solved by bonding the neutral and earth at the generator". I will not do any chances inside the generator.Agregaatti Honda EZ2200.pdf

1 comment
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
Nothing needs to be done "inside" the generator. A simple solution is a short adapter cable plugged into the generator outlet that has neutral and earth bonded. This is actually very common in the RV world where portable generators are used. Most RV/marine generators are already bonded, many portable generators are not.
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic