question

hanski avatar image
hanski asked

equalization with Multiplus or MPPT

I have onnected 6 panels of 275W with two individual (3 panels in both) MPPT 150/85 Tr solar charger connected into battery bank of 1200Ah via LYNX IN bushbar. I have a MultiplusCompact inverter charger 12V 3000KVA for 230V. I have bluetooth smartdongle and BMV-700 for adjusting the chargers and Multiplus with my laptop and iPAD. I have a battery bank of PzS 1200 Ah/12V semi traction battery bank consisting of six pieces of 2V/1200Ah batteries.

I have an HONDA 2,2kW generator for Multiplus charger.

What is the best way to do the equalization process? How long it takes. I have put on both MPPT chargers the equalization voltage of 15,7V.

I tried to do these equalization phase manually but the voltage rises only into 14,7V.

SOCequalisation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Hanski

Make sure you have set the correct battery type and voltages.

In the Multiplus manual in section 3.3.1 it states it will run for an hour and explains more how it works.

3.3.3 tells you how to force equalisation on the multiplus.

Each item in the system will have to be activated manually as you don't have a GX.

So on the MPPTs you will also have to force equalisation there using the option in victron connect. With solar alone it may not be possible.

Not that the system will only try equalize the battery after a full charge so it must either be in absorption or float before you manually trigger it to do so.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hanski avatar image hanski commented ·

Thanks a lot Alexandra. If I understood right the only way to do the equalization process for my battery bank is to do it with Multi and with my Honda alternator. With my mppt chargers it is not possible To do this equalization?

Is there in Multi some place to adjust the equalization voltage into 15,7V what would be the right equalization voltage for my pzs battery bank? I can use my laptop and victron connect app. For that.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ hanski commented ·

To fully equalize you need to make sure there is no load on the system so that the battery is not drawn down during the cycle and interrupting it.

Yes you need to program the inverter. In the battery profile on the inverter, you select the correct battery type amd adjust voltages there.

1 Like 1 ·
hanski avatar image hanski Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Thanks Alexandra!
0 Likes 0 ·
hanski avatar image
hanski answered ·

Hi Alexandra. Can you explain to me the follow. When I am using my Honda agregat to load the battery bank and Multiplus is in position "charger only" is the voltage coming out from Multi the voltage that is coming out from my Honda? If the Multi is in position "inverter" so the outcoming voltage from Multi is the 230V that is in Multis settings? So if my voltage in my AC network when using Honda is 254V can this be so because agregat is operating with that 254V?

With Honda agregat the Multi is charging the bateries in "inverter" position too.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Confirmed.

If the Honda is sending the high voltage, the multi copies that.

If you are inverting then you should have the 230V. Not charging or connected to the generator.

Charger only means the inverter wont help with loads, just charge.

-1 Like -1 ·
a-v avatar image a-v commented ·

The MultiPlus has an internal transfer switch, that closes when there is voltage on AC-in (Honda agregat) and puts this on AC-out1 and AC-out2. The MultiPlus is NOT a double conversion inverter. The MultiPlus (with default configuration) charges the batteries either in "charge only" or in "inverter" mode. When having AC-in the inverter works whe "Power Assist" is needed, i.e. more power is requested on the output that comes in on the input. In this latter situation the MP can even discharge the batteries.

-1 Like -1 ·
hanski avatar image
hanski answered ·

Hi, Thanks a lot! You both really know the technic. Here in Finland nobody can explain so clear the things! These sites are very useful.

2 |3000

hanski avatar image
hanski answered ·

Hi Alexandara. Why in Multiplus cannot been put any value for equalization voltage? I have adjust for absorbtion voltage 14,7V and float voltage 13,8V Accoding my PzS batteries. What would bee the voltage when I put equalization process on?

I have two solar mppt solar chargers mppt 150-85 Tr and they both are connected in VE. Smart Networking. If I will make equalization with solar charger I shall put only one of these two chargers to do that Or how? Would I put the master one to do that? How can I find which one is master oand which one is the slave one?

1 comment
2 |3000

@Hanski

It is not usually user settable. what did you want it o equalize at? the pop up lets you know over 17V it depends on temperature compensation also when you select traction profile. Look in the manual for your inverter it should show it there. Section 3.3. (i think) it is usually 1v above absorption voltage.

1688228328790.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1688228328790.png (48.6 KiB)
hanski avatar image
hanski answered ·

Hi, in my laptop with Victron connect app for Multiplus 3000 12/120 I have only the attached view for the charger. This picture is from demo library, There is no place for valuation the battery type. Your picture is not the similarnayttokuva-2023-7-2-kello-75018.png?

1 comment
2 |3000

@Hanski

I was using ve configure. But VC has the same options.

If you scroll down on the options it is further down in Victron Connect. (Notice right the side has a slide) You can turn on equlaization there.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic