question

eliott avatar image
eliott asked

Victron Titan 48/50 suitable for LFP batteries?

Hi!

I came across an installation that uses the above charger for LFP batteries. Would you recommend this for LFPs? I don't think it is a wise choice as although it has repeated absorption called equalize but only settable for 0-4-8-12 hours which is not ideal for LFP (which would need it once every 7 days or so). Would you agree?

thanks

eliott

Lithium Battery
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eliott avatar image eliott commented ·

Any suggestions, please?

0 Likes 0 ·
eliott avatar image eliott eliott commented ·

pinging Victron staff @mvader (Victron Energy Staff).

Can I have a quick Yes/No/"Rather not" response from Victron staff? thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

As you can read in the manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-TI02170-EN.pdf

the re-equalisation time is 30 minutes, so that's pretty usefull.

both voltages can be adjusted, so I don't see any problems.

quote:

Assuming that the battery is discharged, the Titan charger starts charging in the boost-charge mode. In this mode the battery is charged until the battery voltage reaches the boost voltage. At this point the battery is charged to approximately 80% of its maximum capacity.

This is the end of the boost-charge mode and the Titan charger automatically switches to the equalizecharge mode. During the equalize-charge mode the charging voltage stays the same as the boost voltage but the charge current slowly decreases. The duration of this mode is pre-selectable to 4, 8 or 12 hours.

The standard time of the equalize-mode is 4 hours. After this time the Titan charger automatically switches into the float-charge mode. In the float-charge mode the charge voltage changes into the float voltage and the charge current continues to decrease.

This mode lasts for 20 hours. After the float-charge mode the charger returns to the equalize-charge mode for 30 minutes, this is to compensate for the normal leakage or self discharge of the battery.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eliott avatar image eliott commented ·

Hi!

thanks for taking time the respond. Actually this is one of my two concearns:

1.)

In the TG terminology absorption seems to be 'equalize'. In case of the TG it is minimum 4 hours instead of the recommended 1 hour for smart LFPs.

2.) Secondly, from the doc: "After the float-charge mode the charger returns to the equalize-charge mode for 30 minutes, this is to compensate for the normal leakage or self discharge of the battery. "

This is done opposed to the recommended 7 days rebalancing period that the Multis are set to.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ eliott commented ·

For most systems this is fine, set the voltage a little bit lower if you are concerned.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic