question

ffvictron avatar image
ffvictron asked

Charge Current setting on Quattro II 48/5000 using Honda Generator?

I've successfully connected and I am as of writting this, charging the 48v battery bank using the following generator:

HONDA EU30is MAX KVA 3,0 (13,6 Amp.) Regular KVA 2,8 (7,2 Amp)

screen-shot-2023-06-25-at-134345.png

Using the VE Configure application in the CHARGER tab:

• I have disabled Weak AC input
  • Selected GEL/AGM battery type
  • SET CHARGE CURRENT TO 13 A. here is my question.

Can I set this CHARGER CURRENT setting to a higher value than the provided by the generator? The gen Max Amps is 13A, Can the Quattro charge the batteries to lets say 25A?

Now If you see the picture I am not sure why the voltage is not higher than 50V as specified in the settings.

any suggestions?

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
vintdiesel avatar image
vintdiesel answered ·

It looks like you have confused the AC current @ 230VAC of the generator = 13Amps AC to the battery charge current at 55VDC, which around 50 Amps for the batteries at 2800kVA. If the maximum charge that the batteries are rated to are less than this, then set accordingly.

You can set an AC current limit on the input that the generator is connected to to say 12.7A (2800kVA/230VAC) so the generator is not overloaded.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ffvictron avatar image ffvictron commented ·

thanks for the feedback, just to make sure I understand correctly.

You are saying that I can set the CHARGE CURRENT to up to 50 amps (if that's the maximum accepted for the battery bank), is this correct?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@ffvictron you are probably better off running your genset to more moderate ratings.

Honda specs give 2800VA rated output. Rated output = not too hot, not too humid, not at altitude, running the specified fuel, for an unknown running duty cycle (???).

Given the screen shot you shared shows AC input current of 3.4a @ 13a battery charge, one could suggest that a 40a battery charge rate would equal about 10a AC input current.

Limit you AC input to 10a, and your battery charge current to 40a. See how your genset and multi behave at this level.

1 comment
2 |3000

ffvictron avatar image ffvictron commented ·
thank you.
0 Likes 0 ·