question

Trond Hindenes avatar image
Trond Hindenes asked

has dc system does not make sense

I have a very simple setup: Smartshunt keeps track of my Lithium bank, and a single MPPT charger for PV. In addition my motor alternator may also charge when activated.

screenshot-from-2023-06-22-22-43-49.png

Here's my question:
In my current situation the alternator isn't running, and there's no power from solar panels. If I have the "Has DC system" active, it shows 60W of "DC Power". I struggle to understand what this means. There's nothing charging the batteries right now, why would there be a difference between battery load and "DC Power" load?

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I'd agree this does not make sense if you don't have an inverter. The value shown in DC Power is the difference calculated when all KNOWN sources and loads are combined. What the diagram is saying is there is 120 watts unaccounted for.

Note that the DC Power calculation can show wide variations if loads and charging sources are changing because the values don't necessarily chang in sync.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources