question

dd33 avatar image
dd33 asked

Can the PHOENIX SMART IP43 charger also be operated with "DC" instead of "AC"?

Hello,

can the PHOENIX SMART IP43 charger also be operated with DC – „direct current“ (instead of AC – „alternating current“)?

I have read the user manual for PHOENIX SMART IP43 here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Phoenix_Smart_IP43_Charger_120-240V/Phoenix_Smart_IP43_Charger_120-240V-en.pdf

I also read "the following" in the user manual:

Nominal input voltage - AC supply 120 – 240VAC

Input voltage range – AC supply 85 – 250VAC (full power from 100VAC, startup from 90VAC)

Input frequency - AC supply 45 - 65Hz

Input voltage - DC supply 90 - 375 VDC

"Shore power" is not "available" at all times - as owners of ships or caravans in particular know. Therefore, it is advantageous – if customers have solar panels. Now I would like to ask - "what" customers have to pay attention to - if they want to "supply" the PHOENIX SMART IP43 - with DC („direct current“) from solar panels - so that a 12-volt battery is charged "correctly" - with the help of the PHOENIX SMART IP43 charger? So which "accessories" does Victron recommend - if customers want to "pass on" DC („direct current“) from solar panels to the PHOENIX SMART IP43 charger?

Here is an example: Victron also offers solar panels. Here is a link:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BlueSolar-Monocrystalline-Panels-EN.pdf

Article number: SPM040201200 20W-12V Mono 440x350x25mm series 4a

NET WEIGHT: 1.9

NOMINAL POWER (WATTS): 20

MAXIMUM POWER VOLTAGE (Volts): 18.5

MAXIMUM POWER CURRENT (Amps): 1.09

OPEN CIRCUIT VOLTAGE (volts): 22.6

SHORT CIRCUIT CURRENT (Amps): 1.19

I would now (Just as an example/ Of course only - if the system voltage of solar panels would "allow" it.) connect 5 solar panels in "series". The MAXIMAL POWER VOLTAGE would then be: 92.5 volts. MAXIMUM POWER CURRENT would be: 1.09 Amps. NOMINAL POWER would be: 100 WATTS. And now it would be interesting to know - which "accessories" are recommended by VICTRON - so that I could forward the DIRECT CURRENT to a PHOENIX SMART IP43 charger? So e.g. the "cheapest" method - or other (more expensiv – but sure „hight quality“) options?

Thanks very much.

dd33

Phoenix Smart Charger ip43
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Solar panels require a solar charge controller between the panels and batteries. Best option is usually the MPPT type. I doubt that you're going to get adequate performance, if any, powering a Phoenix with them. Plus there is the issue of potentially feeding AC into the panel outputs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dd33 avatar image
dd33 answered ·

Hello,

Thanks for the information. I've "now" looked for "MPPT SOLAR CHARGERS" - and I have to agree with you - that it would be (probably) the best (or „lightest“) solution - to use MPPT solar charger.

Before - I was only thinking - whether it would be ("purely theoretically") possible - to charge a 12 volt battery with "PHOENIX SMART IP43 CHARGER" - if you don't have "shore power" available (E.g.- if you use „ship" or „caravan“). In user manual (from PHOENIX SMART IP 43) I read - that the charger also accepts DIRECT CURRENT "from 90 volts". So I thought about - "how exactly" (I.e. with "help" - from which other "devices" / Or: Which connectors would be needed?) the direct current from the solar panels – can be forwarded "to" the PHOENIX SMART IP43.

Because I didn't see any connections for "direct current" on the outside box of "PHOENIX SMART IP 43 CHARGER" – it interested me. I can only assume - that for example - a "special" laboratory power supply is required for this „problem“. Or maybe a "special" power supply from Victron - which "somehow" forwards the direct current "to" the PHOENIX SMART IP 43 CHARGER. Or: The "direct current" is (maybe) converted in the (special) power supply - to alternating current.

2 comments
2 |3000

Not much to add to what @kevgermany said.

Simple answer: Yes

The prerequisite for this, however, is a proper constant power supply or DC generator that can supply a suitable DC voltage and current. Solar panels do not work properly for this.

0 Likes 0 ·
dd33 avatar image dd33 Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Stefanie, that's exactly "what" I wanted to know. Thank you for the info. With best regards. Daniel

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic