question

orvh avatar image
orvh asked

Why does float voltage end after 2 hours?

I have a Victron 100/30 smart mppt charger on a 400 watt system feeding a 200ah LifePo4 battery. The last few charge cycles the float voltage (set at 13.5 volts) is truncated and drops below float after 2 hours. Full sunshine and good current should maintain float during sunsine hours. Correct? No clouds in the sky during this phenomena. Any good thoughts on why this occurs?

voltage
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
@OrvH some screenshots of the mppt's settings and detailed history would be a good starting point.

Also details of your pv array and system.

0 Likes 0 ·
orvh avatar image orvh klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
This system is mounted on the roof of my RV. 12 volt, 400 PV Watts mounted horizontal on a flat roof. Panels are in series. Screen shots from yesteday reference the bulk charged voltage to 14.2 volts, 10 minute absorption at 14.2, then drop to 13.5 volts float for 2 hours from 12:49 to 14:39 then no more constant voltage. This during bright sunshine. Current fluctuations are due to fridge load during float. The rebulk offset is set at .25V

System charger is the Victron 100/30 smart mppt, I feed a 200ah lifepo4 battery. One repetitive load for dc fridge, lights, ceiling fan and assundry low current loads. Battery rarely discharges below 90% SOC.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ orvh commented ·

@OrvH all looks good up until 14:39.

Perhaps shade / shadow is reducing pv output? Shade on a series string is bad.

Maybe fire up Victron Connect "trends" and monitor the pv voltage and current to see what is happening.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
orvh avatar image
orvh answered ·

Yep, after additional review, solar voltage dipped from 39.3 to 25.9 at the same time float stopped. Pv volts never went back to upper level and current flow dropped continuously. It must have been a shadow- i hope. Will follow today. Note rebulk attained a couple hours later.

So, if voltage falls quickly and substantially, the MPPT Charger can not maintan float setpoint due to low current input, especially if loads are present. Thank you!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic