question

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett asked

spi ports on Beaglebone Green (and Black) under Venus OS

I've managed to install Venus OS on a Beaglebone green, However the spidev entries are missing in the /dev directory.

On the beaglebone black these are there (under Debian os). I also need the pin drivers.

The Debian /BBB command "config-pin" is not implemented under Venus, Is there an equivalent?

Or a way to get these files created by setting the IO mode?

This was first mentioned in https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/103384/bbb-venus-spi-port.html, but it does not seem to be resolved.

From the research I've found that this is probably due to a missing entry in the device tree tables / description, but how to fix this without learning how to compile Venus from scratch? @mvader (Victron Energy)

As an experiment I thought to check on a BBBlack, new, and the listing in the /dev directory includes spidev 0,1:0,1 (4 devices) and i2c 0,1,2 (3 devices).

After flashing with the same Venus download

venus-install-sdcard-beaglebone-20230529211714-v3.00

i2c2 and all of the spi devices are gone!! I found also that the 2nd stage led remained flashing rather than steady, possibly indicating a fault with the file system install, but the console works.

also tried

venus-install-sdcard-beaglebone-20220208072000-v2.82.img

on the Black with identical results.

Venus OS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented Ā·
I've just checked Version 3.0 from Rpi2, spi0.0 and spi0.1 are both present in /dev

0 Likes 0 Ā·
2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered Ā·

Hi Mike,

I've no idea why this is. And its nothing anyone from our side will look into I'm afraid.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented Ā·
With the shortage of Raspberry pi's the Beaglebone series is the most economic alternative, and more widely available.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Mike Dorsett commented Ā·
ok, that's a good argument. But still I don't expect anyone on our side to look into that real soon I'm afraid.

I'll keep it in mind!

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered Ā·

Ok, so now I've found a DTBO file that should enable the spi interface, the next problem is how to get Venus to load a .dtbo file?

2 |3000

Related Resources