question

eyacht avatar image
eyacht asked

Why would 2 x 24V panels in series read 80+V PV?

Hi everyone. I have Victron solar panels; each is 24V rated 200W, they have 72 cells instead of the normal 60, and I have four pairs of them. Each pair is in series to give 48V nominal and each pair has its own MPPT. When I read PV from the MPPTs the starboard side shows 60V on one pair and 65V on the other. This is a little high I think but the port side reads over 80V on both, which is concerning. Does anyone know why this might be happening and how concerned I should be?? Thanks in advance.

Solar Panelovervoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You need to check the open circuit voltage of the panels. This may be abbreviated to Voc. Should be a sticker on the panels giving the numbers

This gives the max value you should see at the panel.

But it sounds as if you have a cabling error.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eyacht avatar image eyacht commented ·
Thanks @kevgermany ... so the sticker on each says VOC = 44.37V ... since they're in series does that mean it shouldn't get above 88.74V and reading 81-84V is within tolerance?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ eyacht commented ·

In essence, yes.

Voc is for standard conditions. Very bright days may result in a higher voltage. But as bright days usually mean higher temps, maybe not.

I guess your next step is to find out why you're not in the 80V region all round. Be careful disconnecting. The connectors should not be connected/disconnected under load. They'll arc and be damaged. Most likely illumination differences, though. If it was me I'd check uneven illumination, very likely on a boat, and leave it there.

1 Like 1 ·
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks @Groningen - the datasheets are for series 4a & 4b, whereas mine are series 3a, however, I'm not sure how this info would help with answering my question about what I think is a high PV reading for a 48V system.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

80 Volts could indicate that, those PV Panel have no load. How many amps is flowing from those PV Panels?

1 comment
2 |3000

It's a good thought but why would the panels on one side have 80A and the other side 60A? They both go to the charge buss for the battery banks on their respective sides, neither of which were full.
0 Likes 0 ·
kaypea avatar image
kaypea answered ·

Sounds like you are measuring the solar voltage off-load (Voc). Putting panels in series adds the voltage together so a max of 88v is quite correct for your panels - but obviously, the voltage should never exceed the MPPT max input voltage level of your charger. As regard different panel maximum currents, so long as the voltages are correct for your system it would actually not matter too much since banks of panels give different currents depending on what exposure they have to sunlight - one bank could be more in the shade at certain times and consequently output lower currents. The total voltage will also lower considerably when under charging load from the MPPT.

Since the series string of panels are all connected to a common bus bar, the current each set delivers would add together at that point. Panels are normally fitted with a diode so current can only flow away from the panel and only go into the charger.

Hope that may help.

2 |3000

groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@eYacht

Indeed as @kaypea has indicated. An single photovoltaic solar cell can produce an “Open Circuit Voltage” ( VOC ) of about 0.5 to 0.6 volts at 25oC (typically around 0.58V) no matter how large they are. This cell voltage remains fairly constant just as long as there is sufficient irradiance light from dull to bright sunlight.

So your 60 (or 72) cells should be in the range of approximately 60V (72V) or slightly higher as you indicated above for the two panels. Obviously I am not referring to losses or efficiencies of mppt etc.

From the spec sheet I posted, it would also appear that your SERIES voltages are correct, that is if I correlate your data (irrespective of 3a or 4a) with the +- 210W panel in the spec sheet.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic