question

Evan Something avatar image
Evan Something asked

Multiplus-ii 24/3000/70-50 AC-in wiring confusion

I just received my Multiplus-ii 24/3000/70-50 and it states in the manual:

The AC input cable can be connected to the terminal block 'AC-in'.

From left to right: "N" (neutral), "L2" (phase 2), "PE" (earth) and "L1" (phase 1)

But my terminal blocks inside the unit only have 3 spots? They are labeled:

N , PE , L

Am I missing something? How would I wire a split phase 120/240 50A plug into this inverter?

Or alternately stated, how do I achieve the rated current of 50A in?

(model # PMP242305100 )

Thanks

Multiplus-IIwiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Assuming you're wiring into a 50A RV.

240V on 50A RV isn't for 240V, it's for two 120V legs on the AC panel. This allows 12kW of total power.

Based on the part number you gave, it's been established that you do not have the 2x 120 inverter, but the standard 120V inverter.

It is not split phase compatible.

The unit can pass through 50A of 120VAC power via L and N. If connecting to 50A shore power, you would need to fabricate an adapter that only passes L1 or L2 to L or use a 50A to 30A adapter. You would need to short the AC panel L1 to L2 to provide 120VAC to each leg.

You would leave L2 disconnected and not have use of the additional power.

A little more detail would be helpful.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Evan Something avatar image Evan Something commented ·

Okay weird, I wrote a whole thank you reply, but it appears to have disappeared.

Anyway, thanks @snoobler I figured out my confusion! I didn't realize each leg of a 14-50 had 50A on it, and then what you wrote makes sense, I will just connect a single leg of that into my inverter and leave L2 disconnected.

Thanks for the guidance!
(PS, i'll use 6 awg stranded wire with a crimped ferule for my connection, as recommended!)

1 Like 1 ·
Evan Something avatar image Evan Something Evan Something commented ·
also, found out that if you submit any body of text with an emoji in it, the forum rejects the whole post and quietly fails. So, no emojis everyone! At least not for me.
0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler Evan Something commented ·
You're welcome. Good to know.

If we're talking about 50A shore power, yep... 50A on L1 and L2 @ 240V, but you get the same 50A on each 120V leg for 6kW EA and 12kW total.

Huge difference between 30A (which is 120VAC single phase) and 50A shore power.

You'll simply be limited to 50A/120V.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ snoobler commented ·
@snoobler thanks for the clarification.
0 Likes 0 ·
Evan Something avatar image Evan Something commented ·

"A little more detail would be helpful."

I'm happy to add any other details! What else is there though?

* I haven't purchased the AC panel yet.

* I live in North America.

* I have the PMP242305100 unit.

* I would like to provide 50 Amp input to the unit

I am curious as to how this typically occurs?

( The manual states that it can handle 50A input. https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/manuals#item=manuals-multiplus-ii )

image-2023-05-31-093831291.png

- Rev 05 - 03/2023

It appears they did modify the wording in the manual to now state the correct terminal block:

The AC input cable can be connected to the terminal block ‘AC–in’.
From left to right: “N” (neutral), “PE” (earth) and “L” (phase)

Is the implication is that I can provide 50A to that input block? And if so, is there a way in which people typically do that? I'm inclined to believe this is a long standing error on Victrons part? (Possibly the hardware inside the unit can support 50A, but I'm not sure that terminal block would be rated for 50A on a single leg. Maybe I'm wrong though? It states that AC-Out-1 can support 75A out, because it combines 50A pass through and 25A inverted power).

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler Evan Something commented ·

Yes you can. Yes, per the manual/wiring unlimited. No, it's not an error. Yes, you're wrong.

Single leg vs. split phase 50A rating is not a thing. The terminal block has both a voltage and current rating, and it is sufficient, or Victron wouldn't use it.

HOW you make that connection is very important. The MP-II terminals are sensitive to the type of wire used and they obviously recommend a ferrule.

See the manual for wiring guidance and consult 6.4 (and then read the whole thing):

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/The_Wiring_Unlimited_book/43562-Wiring_Unlimited-pdf-en.pdf

You need to use fine stranded wire.

1 Like 1 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@nagz check the model #. PMP242305100 appears to be a single phase inverter.

multi-model.png

PMP242305130 is the split phase model.

multi-model.png (313.1 KiB)
2 |3000

mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Did you receive the 120 Volt version?

2 |3000

Evan Something avatar image
Evan Something answered ·

@klim8skeptic I don't need a dual phase inverter though. When I read:

the MultiPlus-II 2x120V can accept and passthrough both lines of a 120/240V supply

I figured I didn't need to pass through 240v as I don't have any 240v appliances?

The unit I purchased states "Maximum AC Input Current: 50 Amps" ?

I guess I'm curious as to how I can put 50A into it?

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Evan Something I guess I'm curious as to how I can put 50A into it?

I guess you could hardwire it to your breaker box with the appropriate breaker and cable.

If your mobile and need to plug in, no idea.

Perhaps someone local like @snoobler or @Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA might know.

1 Like 1 ·