question

eugenijus avatar image
eugenijus asked

SMARTSOLAR MPPT 75/10 solar panel output started to be 0 V

SMARTSOLAR MPPT 75/10,

160W PV panel, 100Ah battery, battery voltage >12V when having issues below.

Suddenly voltage at solar panel output started to be 0 V and battery loading is over (0W). I cleaned the panel, this caused panel for 10-15 minutes to generate voltage >0V but then again 0V. Sometimes in the morning for some 20-30 minutes generation is happening (voltage is >0) and then stops generating. I even measured voltage at the contacts of PV panel - 0V. I can understand that controller can disconnect panel from loading, but is in this case voltage will be 0V?

I have some doubts about battery being too old - can this be reason for PV panel voltage to be 0V?

Is there a way to definitely find out using this SMARTSOLAR MPPT 75/10 that battery are too old? Or any other means to check viability of battery?

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolarvoltage
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

I even measured voltage at the contacts of PV panel - 0V.

Disconnect the panel from the MPPT and measure the PV panel voltage again (during the day). If still 0V, then it's something wrong with the panel or with the wires from the panel.

Also keep in mind that panel voltage must be at least 5V higher than the actual battery voltage in order for the SmartSolar to start charging the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
eugenijus avatar image eugenijus seb71 commented ·
Thanks, I am wondering why I couldn't figure this out myself :/

After disconnecting PV panel from controller I see voltage is 0V. So, it turns out PV panel is faulty. But history shows that panel loads battery couple hours in the morning, three days in a row, about the same time: from ~5:30 till ~8:30. Very strange...

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
ingo21 avatar image
ingo21 answered ·

when the panel is cold in the morning it still worked and then some connection might have to hot and failed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic