question

mosquito52 avatar image
mosquito52 asked

OffGrid power limits system

My off grid system is:
 victron MultiplusII 10kW, 250/100 MTTP, Cerbo GX, 518AH/24.86KW battery bank, and 5.16KW
 solar panel system. The battery has a charging/Discharge limit of 100Amps, the MTTP also has a charging limit of 100Amps.
Cernario: fully charged batteries, maximum power solar panel.
Question: if the AC load needs 200 Amps from the DC part, does the system supply 100Amps from the solar plus 100Amps from the battery or the limit is really 100Amps.
offgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

If the Batteries are 100% charged and the MPPT is in float it will try to keep it this way, hence if your MultiPlus pull 200A and your 5,6kW Solarpanels can deliver the power, the MPPT will provide 100A and the rest will come from the batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Mosquito52

I am going to day yes but also no.

Solar is a fickle partner and may not be there if you need it. The most ready supply of power will be the battery so will be the most likely one to do the work at least until solar catches up. And will also depend on panel temps and panel config.

If you are talking about tracking speed then it will be a few seconds. The RS 48/6000 is almost instant.

And most batteries have a 100A nominal/continuous and a peak of much higher that they can runa a bit, so check that.

The inverter (MP2 48/5000) will only run a 200A (9600W) from the DC for a few seconds anyway (inverting) then will shut down.

Not on my recomend list though. It is always better offgrid to be battery cautious (so add another one) since the battery is the heart of the system.

1 comment
2 |3000

mosquito52 avatar image mosquito52 commented ·

Hello Alexandra,

thank you very much for your prompt reply. My inverter MP2 48/10000 will run 200A (9600W) from the DC, no problem. My question set up an ideal scenario where the battery was fully charged, and the panels had a flawless continuous supply of 100Amps. In this situation the question arises if there is a demand of 200Amps from the AC load, this system as described in the hypothetical scenario can supply 200Amps DC or is it limited to 100Amps because it is the limit of the battery in continuous discharge and, it is the limit of the Solar's MTTP.
many thanks in advance

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources