question

jonny-b avatar image
jonny-b asked

Grid Tied PV CT Monitoring

I have a pair of Sunny Boy 5000 PV inverters without Speedwire/Webconnect modules. Is it possible to connect their output via a 100A/50mA CT to my Cerbo GX or Multiplus II? I have read that I need the Speedwire module, but don't believe this as all I want is a CT's signal named PV or whatever that's read by my Victron equipment.

AC PV Coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

you can use a victron AC current sensor , one for each sunny boy. connected on there active outputs, then a new solar tile will show showing the combined output of the 2 pv units,

A assistant has to be added to the multiplus for each ac current sensor

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jonny-b avatar image jonny-b commented ·
Thanks Paul - I'll take a look over the weekend.
0 Likes 0 ·
jonny-b avatar image
jonny-b answered ·

I think there's been a bit of confusion here: I'd like to use the current transformer in my original post, not Victron's sensor. I've checked the sensor's spec. and yes, looks like I'd need 2 of them. That's a bit of a waste as I expected to just buy 1 module. I still can't see why I can't in theory use the CT I bought for the job.

1 comment
2 |3000

sharpener avatar image sharpener commented ·
AFAIR you can't use a CT for this, I was advised to fit an ET112 meter. My system worked OK before I fitted it, but without it the Multi's internal CT treats any PV connected to AC-Out as a negative load so the loads displayed are incorrect.
1 Like 1 ·