question

nlw avatar image
nlw asked

Regarding the Victron EasySolar 48/5000/70-100 230V-MPPT 150/100

Regarding the Victron EasySolar 48/5000/70-100 230V-MPPT 150/100

I have a couple questions regarding the hook up of the above unit if anyone here would be so kind as to assist please. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with my wiring or the Victron.

My first question is (just to help me understand the operation of this unit). Should this unit be able to work with solar panels connected only (as in no battery) to output AC power? I ask this because this unit seems to be able to do precisely this.

I have built up a 48V 280Ah LifePo4 battery with a JK 200Ah BMS. The battery/BMS combo seems fine with battery voltage (presently) at around 53.5v. However, it seems it does not want to work with the Victron 'eaysolar'. When pressing the button to fire up the JK, it starts to cycle, attempting to output power or connect to the Victron (the EasySolar GX control screen momentarily illuminates) but seems to sens a short or overload and the BMS shuts back down again, going around and around like this... yet the Victron will work fine taking power just from the inbuilt solar regulator/PV. I have been unable to set the battery chemistry and or charge voltage on this unit using the GX screen so maybe this is a contributor to the problem. Also I have fitted a smart shunt with the cable connected internally to the GX unit.

If the solar PV input is shut down completely so the EasySolar is ostensibly dead, and then try to connect the battery /BMS the BMS will not fire up and makes no attempt to connect.

Any advice to help me troubleshoot this would be much appreciated.

screenshot-from-2023-05-14-16-44-07.png

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Should this unit be able to work with solar panels connected only (as in no battery) to output AC power? NO!! Never operate this type of inverter equipment without the battery connected. However, if there is no load on the inverter, the PV will provide the power for it to operate, BUT the dc voltage will not be stabilised.

Does the battery start up with no load connection to the inverter? If so, then you need to configure the remote voltage sensing / precharge connections, and a battery isolator switch on the positive dc power to the inverter. This will allow the inverter to charge to the battery voltage wihtout taking a large pulse of current. This may be causing the problem.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Might also be that you need to precharge the capacitors in the EasySolar. Startup current when you first connect the battery is very high. This might cause the symptoms you describe.

On the programming, make sure you program both the solar controller and the inverter/charger separately. These are separate units in a single enclosure.

2 |3000

nlw avatar image
nlw answered ·

Hi and many thanks for the feedback. The idea that the Victron is a hefty or difficult load to start may be correct. I hooked up a small 48V battery to start the victron (which it did just fine) and then whilst running introduced the feed from the main battery / JK BMS side. As soon as the connection is made the JK shuts down completely - allowing no current in or out. However, take the 'start' battery out of circuit and there we go, back to the BMS cycling through attempted starts...

In frustration I have connected and older 16S 200A BMS and this seems to be working just fine although it offers no fancy balancing, non cell voltage information. Any further suggestions as to what I can do here?

2 |3000