question

cdgandhi avatar image
cdgandhi asked

Error 11 Ground relay failure stage 8

looking for some assistance with error 11 (ground relay error failed at stage 8) on Victron Multiplus II GX (5kva).

Got the error almost 2 months ago and despite numerous requests to my supplier my calls have been ignored and no action taken. I am still within my warranty period.

About 6 months ago I had an error 8 message and when the supplier did come out to check they eventually replaced the invertor.

I am not an electrician so have limited knowledge of wiring but having read a bit on error 11 it stated that the is a possibility that it could be a wiring issue. My system wiring is displayed below, please can someone advise if this seems correct. The only thing I havnt seen with other systems is the connection og PE to PE AC-out 1 to AC-out 2 which in turn is connected to AC-in PE.

I am based in JHB South Africa and with almost 12 hours of load shedding a day it is difficult to function without the system.

Any help would be appreciated.

victron-connection-2.jpg

victron-connection-5.jpg

error 11
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

Sorry bud that earth looks messy two earths in one hole and they are not feral crimpted so that’s not a good connection and looks like the earth is just shoved in under it if they didn’t want to run more than one earth they should have earthed it on the Victron‘s bolt earth terminal and run them from that. Those earths look pants if it is an earth system you’re looking at the fault mate. Hope that helps

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

PS what size cable did they use for AC input and output?

2 |3000

cdgandhi avatar image
cdgandhi answered ·

Thanks for the prompt response. Not sure about the size of the cable, will try and find out. Hope i can get someone in to help sort out :(

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@cdgandhi easy enough to sort out any electrician can sort that earth out. depending how much slack is on the main earth that goes into AC1 output, pull that out run it back in the trunking and make it pop up earlier with a gland and in through the unused nipple that you have there then get them to earth it on the main bolt with an earth lug and then just dress three earths from that point with lugs and that should do you as long as your terraria earth is good to ground your that should sort you out.

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You have posted this multiple times and were sent the test documentation link. Error 11 is not a ground relay fault.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:ve.bus_error_codes

Using terminals as bus bars is also not a great idea.

I would suggest you find a reputable installer and electrician and check everything.

2 |3000

daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@nickdb even if it isn’t that, that earthing arrangement isn’t good

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

@Daza yip. Wiring is at best iffy.

0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image
daza answered ·

@nickdb its an earth point which is a good idea to have in one location and carries a lots less current and only In a fault condition. Better arrangement would be an MET point but that would have to breach OP’s trunking which OP might not go for. I’ve run three earths from my MET for this reason 16mm to Victron earth bolt and 10mm to in and ac1

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic