question

fchirico avatar image
fchirico asked

UTP cable pin setting for BMV 702

Hi,

I'm installing a BMV 702 and I cut the UTP cable in order to insert it into a IP box.

I crimped the cable again, but the display doesn't work now. The problem can be due to the order of the connections made (I will reconnect all in the right order) or the wrong pin connections in the UTP cable,

Someone knows the exact connections of the pin in the UTP cable? Is it pin-to-pin? Is it crossed?

At the moment I copied the integer side in the reconstructed side, but it doesn't work.

Thank you!

BMV Battery Monitorwiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi @fchirico,

It's a straight pin to pin connection.

Regards,

Markus

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

PS.: It's very possible that you did not contact all cables when crimping. Pls. try again and undrill the pairs as good as you can to get it in better position when crimping.

Markus

0 Likes 0 ·
fchirico avatar image fchirico commented ·

Thank you Markus!

ok, I'll check pin per pin, but if the connection is pin to pin, I think that the problem is in the order of the connection, because I'm not sure that the negative was the last cable connected like in the instructions..

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ fchirico commented ·

I do not exactly get what you mean. Just make sure that every side of your crimp has the same order of wires.

Or if everything fails, you can use a telephone cable, you can buy in the length you need ;o)

0 Likes 0 ·
bschnzl avatar image
bschnzl answered ·

Hi Folks!

I don't want to ding any ones coeptus here, but the current answers ignore the functional part of the question. I have a lot of experience putting RJ type connectors on UTP cable. You really need to have the order and colors to properly terminate your signal wire. So...

1 2 3 4 5 6

B O G Wg Wo Wb

Look at the RJ-13 with the pins up, and away from you. Start at the left for the pin numbers.

The cable that comes with the BMV is 10m long! I need about 15cm (14" - Standard). I used a continuity tester to find these answers. Hopefully, I will save you some work!

Each pair in UTP Cable is solid and stripe. B=blue, O=orange, G=green. This is how every CAT3 cable I have seen has been. CAT5x has a brown pair. On the supplied three pair wire, from the middle out, we use Green, Orange, Blue.

The critical part of terminating UTP cables is getting the insulated wires all the way into the connector, in the right order. It is also better if you crimp the outer insulation in the strain relief of the connector. The whole CAT thing is to control the impedance mismatch at the connector, so if it looks right, your system will perform right.

I have a cheap RJ-13 crimper. I have a really NICE RJ-45 crimper. In both cases, it is best to replace one end at a time. The supplied cable works. You need the pin-outs to save your hair line!

enjoy!

B.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic