question

ecoman avatar image
ecoman asked

Victron Multiplus-II 48/10000/140 model fan noise fix?

Hi Guy,

I have one of these earlier Multiplus II 10kW models, where the fan noise already at low loads is way too loud, intolerable. Can you pls share

1) what magnitude of improvement was achieved with fan noise reduction fix on the 10kW model after serial number HQ2229, as listed in thread.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/164077/too-many-buzzing-noise-complains-coming-from-multi.html

2) what is the actual fix, is it higher PWM fan control frequency? Hardware or software fix or both?

3) most importantly, is there a fix that can be applied to earlier models shipped before the serial number listed?

I received my 10kW Multiplus II in May 2022, serial number starts with HQ2147. If the serial numbers were sequential, it would be within last 100 manufactured before the fix was applied.

Thanks,

Ecoman

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
andreas-siebenmorgen avatar image
andreas-siebenmorgen answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ecoman avatar image
ecoman answered ·

Thanks for the link. Reading thru the tech note, the "Appendix - Retrofit instructions" address only the single fan 5kW model, all pics and cabling instructions are for it. What about the two-fan 10kW models which have two fan connectors instead of one, and different internal layout?

Tech Note refers 8kW and 10kW model owners to check the note 2, which says:

"(2) Retrofitting the MP-II 8kVA and 10kVA with this PCBA is not possible with the stocked version. The premounted wires are too short, contact us at repairs@victronenergy.com to obtain a suitable version."

While the note above mentions wire lengths only, IMV the kit for the larger models should have twice the modules & connectors, to apply the same 40kHz PWM change to both fans to reduce the noise of both. Is that the case?

Also, where can I find the instructions for the 10kW model installation, as the 5kW instructions and pictures do not cover the 10kW model wires and connections.

Thanks.

1 comment
2 |3000

caesium avatar image caesium commented ·

Also interested in answers to these questions.

I've just fitted my retrofit kit in my new 10KVA unit and used J6. I've not even powered it up yet, it's being installed this weekend.

I didn't find the extra wire lengths necessary but I am puzzled over whether I should use J5 or J6?

I'm wondering if I simply need another kit for J5? Not too sure if my dealer will be happy to give me another one unless there's an official Victron response about this though.

0 Likes 0 ·
caesium avatar image
caesium answered ·

Had a very helpful reply from Victron today about this. Apparently the 10K model needs two retrofit kits, referred to as SPR00090 and SPR00091. I guess they're simply one PCB per fan with appropriate passthrough connectors.

They're sending these out to me so I can get both fitted, happy days.

1 comment
2 |3000

dancrompton avatar image dancrompton commented ·
How did you manage to contact someone at Victron willing to help you if you don't mind me asking? I have been unsuccessful, and just told to contact my supplier. My supplier (Battery Megastore) have been absolutely useless. I've been waiting for 8 months now and the fan noise from my Multiplus 48/5000 is driving me nuts.
0 Likes 0 ·
offgridshopeu avatar image
offgridshopeu answered ·

The new SPR00091 for 8kVA and 10kVA models will be available soon, at the moment they can not be delivered yet it seems, but already ordered.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @ecoman and @Caesium

The tech note for the fan noise fix has just been updated to include more information about the 8K & 10K models.

This was also just sent out to all dealers to who we have supplied this product to.

2023-05 - MPII Retrofit kit to reduce low RPM fan noise v2 .pdf

6 comments
2 |3000

caesium avatar image caesium commented ·
Thanks Guy, those new pictures make a lot more sense for the bigger models! Appreciate the update.
1 Like 1 ·
dipster25 avatar image dipster25 commented ·
@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) Guy, I wonder if you can help ? I have the Quattro 48/8000/110-100/100, the SN is HQ2226xxxAQ PN QUA48802400 and do not see it on the list, but the noise of my inverter is significant and can hear it from most rooms in the house. Happy to send you a video of the noise. Would this fix work for my model and SN ? I really was not expecting this level of noise at all. Thanks in advance for your help.
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ dipster25 commented ·

Hi @dipster25,

This issue only applied to the new format 'Multiplus-II' and 'Quattro-II' models.

Your Quattro is not affected by this issue specifically, and there would be no improvement to your model.

If you think there is a problem, the best thing to do would be to get in touch with your supplier for help.

0 Likes 0 ·
dipster25 avatar image dipster25 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) Thank you for getting back to me. I was hoping this was the fix. Yes, I will chase my supplier to investigate what the problem is. Really need this resolved as it is not something we can live with :-( Thanks again for getting back to me.
0 Likes 0 ·
larsea-dk avatar image larsea-dk commented ·
hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

I have received the PCB an tried to fit it inside the MPII 48/5000. The first picture in the retrofit (section 4) seems like being from a 48/5000 unit, but the pictures with the installed PCB (section 5 & 6) is definitely not from this unit, since there is simply no place for the PCB at this place. The thick isolated copperbars going from bottom to the top(trafo) is just in the exact same place as shown for the PCB. If its placed a bitter lower, its very close to the main PCB of the inverter. The cable length of the PCB is extremely short and do not allow it to placed that many places.

Do you have a photo of the PCB installed in a 48/5000 unit in a proper way? It is a totally unprotected small PCB, so need to be safely fixated inside the inverter of course with sufficient distance to other parts.

Thank you very much in advance

Lars

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ larsea-dk commented ·
Hi @larsea-dk,

I only have the pictures in the PDF above that shows it zip tied to the holes in the fan frame.

If you have any doubt I would strongly suggest getting in touch with your dealer for support.

0 Likes 0 ·