question

Andrew avatar image
Andrew asked

replacing inverter controller

not happy with my main Grid based hybrid system due to its inflexibility and waste of PV. The luxpower unit can only charge and discharge at specified times and does not work when required eg smart switch over if PV low and demand from appliance is high it doesn't have the capacity to switch to batteries and Luxpower eventually admitted this. This means i waste most PV at the moment. I get about 4kw some winter days and 30+ on good days this time of year. I am looking to have a flexible off grid preferably, with ability to charge if i need to and wish to use excess solar to heat water using a diverter.

Sys 1 = 16 panel 6kw PV (longi 370w x 8 x 2 strings is east-west on roof 8 either side Growatt 5kw inverter and "hybrid" Luxpowertek acs lxp 3700

panels are 8 on east wing of roof and 8 on west i dont know if its parallel or series-parallel

Pylontech = batteries mix of 3 x 5000, 3 x 3000c and 2 us3000

Sys 2: Off-grid Easysolar 3KW gx II 250/70 (35): array of 10 panels 2 x 375 ja solar on a pagola south facing in garden (not completely up and running yet)

Energy use approx 12kw per day

Inverter and controller: Thinking a Victron system inverter/mppt as the settings are flexible and it has this forum and seem to be well built products,

can anyone advise which one would be the best suited?

longi.jpg

offgrid
longi.jpg (52.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I would sugest that you look up where you local victron dealer is and go and have a discussion with them on what they would recommend, at min a victron multiplus II 48volt 5000 and a cerbo would be needed to replace the Growatt 5000, but you would need a tech to configure and install this,

And yes the victron units are very hardy and well supported, and this forum also helps a lot.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Andrew avatar image
Andrew answered ·

@Paul B thanks Paul this is proving difficult as there are no Victron installers or resellers near me - I have found an offgrid installer who is going to get back to me.

The main issue I think is the amount of batteries too. I have 3 x 3000c, 2 x 3000 and 3 x 5000 pylontechs. So wondering if a quattro makes more sense:

Victron Energy Quattro 48V 10000-140-100-100 Pure Sine Power Inverter Battery Charger.

x

1 comment
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Happy to offer some advice. Email ejrossouw@hotmail.com and we can take it from there if of interest. My focus is domestic Victron ESS in the UK. The starting point should be to understand your base and peak loads. Below suggests you AC coupled storage can operate as you want and it may be just settings, clamps etc. that are not correctly configured/set up.

1683964329562.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1683964329562.png (321.0 KiB)
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

best I can sugest is to give me a call on whats app +61491958151 and I can help out with some advise. My time zone is UTC +6 Sydney - Australia time

2 |3000

Related Resources