question

pavel-cervenka avatar image
pavel-cervenka asked

EV Charging Station - automatic mode for Inverter AC input connection

Hello,

I am using EVCS for a week. Firstly connected as "Inverter AC output" - everything works smoothly, manual and automatic mode as well. No complaints.

But then I changed electrical connection and setting to "Inverter AC input". Manual mode work fine. But Automatic mode sucks. If I use automatic mode, charging start at 6A and increase amps step by step. But it dont stop on PV excese power point, it continue increasing till max charging current setup is reached. Lets say, PV excese is 5kW, charger charge my EV at 11kW.

Is it EVCS bug or feature? Or could I change any other parameter in my ESS?

my system: 3x Multiplus 5000, Cerbo GX, 2x MPPT 250/100, 14kWh Pylontech, EVCS.

Cerbo, MPPTs and EVCS with last FW update.

Thank in advance for any help.

Pavel

ev charging station
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Can you share a 10 sec video of the main page when this is happening?
0 Likes 0 ·
pavel-cervenka avatar image pavel-cervenka Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Thank you for your reaction. I will do soon. Now I have to wait for better weather, it is cloudy here from yesterday :( No excesses now.
0 Likes 0 ·
pavel-cervenka avatar image pavel-cervenka Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Here is a video of auto mode from charging start to reach of maximum charging current which not respect of PV excesses. Looking forward to any advice how to solve this issue.

Pavel

0 Likes 0 ·
auto-mode.mp4 (39.5 MiB)
1 Answer
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Ok, but while the EVCS is sending more power to the vehicle, the measured grid power remains the same. So something is wrong with the installation. Where is the EVCS connected? Is before the meter?

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pavel-cervenka avatar image pavel-cervenka commented ·

EVCS is connected on Inverter AC input according picture...

there is no external energy meter. Energy is measured by 3x Multiplus I. inverters (3 phase).

1683194454298.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1683194454298.png (60.9 KiB)
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ pavel-cervenka commented ·

That's why! You need to add a meter or connect the EVCS on the output of the Multi.

0 Likes 0 ·
hmm, OK I have to buy ET340 meter. But why? Multi have data about grid feed power, EVCS have data about charging power. I think it is only about math over these data... Is there any chance to solve this in new FW release?
0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ pavel-cervenka commented ·

In't not only math, we don't know if there are other consumers before the inverters, same as the EVCS. Example – If you are exporting 5kW and all is consumed, there is nothing available for charging the vehicle. Without the meter, for this case, the EVCS will charge and it shouldn't. Is it clear now?

0 Likes 0 ·
OK, clear. Thank you for your help.
1 Like 1 ·

One more question Lucian. If I add ET340 meter as you mentioned, EVCS will be connected on "Inverter AC input" as now. What will happen when I will charge lets say over night when no PV excesses? EVCS will be feeded by the grid or by the battery through the Multis?

0 Likes 0 ·
It depends on how ESS is configured, It's not something that EVCS is deciding.
0 Likes 0 ·

Main reason for what I connected EVCS on the Inverter AC input is not drawing power from batery while no PV power is present. Is there any special ESS setting which allow what I want including Automatic mode? Now in situation without power meter it behave exact what I want, but automatic mode dont work :( Automatic mode is very nice feature of Victron EVCS.

0 Likes 0 ·
You'll have to decide, it can't be both monitored for working in automatic mode and not monitored if you want to charge directly from the grid
0 Likes 0 ·