question

david-campbell avatar image
david-campbell asked

Off grid setup. Multiplus II, Enphase IQ7a and Honda EU20i

Multiplus MultiPlus-II GX 48V/5000. Off grid installation. 16 kwh of lifepo4 batteries. Power supplied by both a Honda EU20i generator and also Enphase IQ7a micro inverters connected to 1.6kw of solar.

I understand that because their is no mains grid then the solar needs to comply with the 1:1 rule. I also understand that I need to install and configure the PV Inverter Support assistant, and configure frequency shifting for the IQ7a micro inverters. I understand that the micro inverts and loads need to be all connected together on the AC-IN of the Multiplus.

Firstly, have I got this broadly correct?

Ho would I connect the EU20i generator, and do I need to configure anything for this? My only guess is that it should also be connected to AC-in? If so, would this cause issues if the generator is started whilst the Multiplus and IQ7s are also already running?

Multiplus-IIGeneratormicrogrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
rvicev avatar image
rvicev answered ·

@David Campbell

Firstly, have I got this broadly correct?

Short answer : NO

You may want to first spend some time on reading docs and watching presentations on the Victron web-site ...... Factor 1.0 rule applies to AC-coupled solar (AC-OUT1, not AC-IN), 16 kWh batteries and only 1.6 kWh solar ? etc.

Once you have done that, more useful questions/answers are possible.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

david-campbell answered ·

Thanks for your message. Not sure why I'd thought it was AC-IN.

So instead, I would connect the micro.inverters to the Multiplus AC-OUT. That makes more sense.

Does the generator simply connect to AC-IN, and then I just set up the multiplus to charge from AC-IN?

I gather that if there is excess power from the micro inverters beyond what is being consumed by appliances then this will automatically be used by the Multiplus to charge the batteries too?

Anything else obvious I'm missing?

Thanks,

David

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@David Campbell

I think you may find that you can't use the genset at the same time as the Enphase is producing. I doubt Enphase would recommend it either, even with a Multiplus in between them.

You may even want to set up a relay system to prevent it happening inadvertently.

I've been offgrid for years, and frankly wouldn't even consider installing a setup like that. Too clumsy, and fraught with the possibility of unstable ac. I run my genset whenever I want as well, set up to give dc solar priority if it's producing at the same time.

2 |3000

That's interesting. I'm talking about purely using the generator to charge the batteries. For example I could buy a 48v charger, connect that to the generator and batteries and presumably have no issues.

The Multiplus is a charger / inverter. Assuming I switch off features such as Powerassist, I wonder what the issue would be?

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
48V ac chargers are actually quite scarce. A standalone Multiplus is actually a viable option.
0 Likes 0 ·

Just further to this, I've found a Victron schematic which appears to show the precise setup I'm trying to achieve:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/SLD-Multiplus-II-AC-PV-and-gen-off-grid-2019-05-21.pdf

The problem is the schematic has no accompanying explanation, but it does appear from this that such a setup would be possible.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@David Campbell

Anything's 'possible', but surely you want 'practicable'? That link is very symbolic, and similar to this one from a very salesy brochure.. https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Brochure-Off-Grid-backup-and-island-systems_EN_web.pdf See P15. Not much explanation their either, but what there is talks large systems and auto gen start. Doesn't hit the nitty-gritty.

Properly designing an offgrid system needs deeper attention than something grid-tied. Ok, so you have a 5kVA Multi, fine for a 'household'. 16kVA of Li, really good. Then just 1.6kW of solar and a similar tiny genset. Depends on what you consume of course, but this is your weakness. And not being able to run them both together at critical times will break your heart.

Why do you want to use Enphase? Selective shade? If so, you have problems.

I'd just grab a 150/35 mppt and run with that. Happy to discuss further, but would be great if you had an estimate of your daily consumption.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Jonn,

Thanks for your help. I should have been clearer... this is not to run a home, but simply a system to power various items of portable equipment on a mobile site where there is no grid connection. The site is attended and currently we simply run the generator for a few hours whenever the batteries are running low. This doesn't need automating or anything clever, and the current setup works absolutely fine and has done so for a year.

The only thing I'm trying to do is augment the current setup so that the batteries also receive a charge from solar. (There are various reasons why micro inverters suit this application for us much better than a traditional solar DC system - involving setup time, the distribution of the panels, wiring lengths etc).

As you said, Victron don't seem to provide much in the way of information, but from reading their various guides it looks like one needs to -

- Connect generator to AC-IN (and set up as we have currently an appropriate charging current)

- Connect micro inverters to AC-OUT

- Install PV Inverter Support assistant and set up frequency shifting

There do seem to be some pitfalls but from what I can gather things should be ok if:

- The 1:1 rule is respected with respect to the PV inverter. In my application we are only talking about 3 or 4 panels so this is not an issue.

- You don't run the generator when the batteries are fully charged (or to be safe don't run it unless they need charging). This is no problem as we don't do it right now either.

I guess I'm just going to have to go-ahead with this and try it in practice. It is a shame that Victron don't supply more comprehensive guides for such an install.

David

2 |3000

juergenal avatar image
juergenal answered ·

@David Campbell when you will run the multiplus2 with frequency shifting on the enphase, you need a special profile from enphase for that. I Have running a Victron 3phase system with Multiplus2 10kVA here in Germany on Grid and on the AC-Out I have 52 IQ7A with frequency shifting. And last but not least, when the electricity suplier will reduce the power to the grid, they give me 4 Signals for reducing the IQ7A.

Juergen

2 |3000

GRIGORIU avatar image
GRIGORIU answered ·

Hi everyone,

I also have the same problem Off grid house (mountain high isolated house) with already mounted 3Kwc Enphase system and the grid is out and for long ( for > 2 years probably berore being rebuild ). I need then to go completely off grid. There is some info here and there on the site but I still crave for a clear presentatio of a system by one of you as to avoid mistake and minimize costs. Can you help ?

2 |3000