question

Noel Rath avatar image
Noel Rath asked

Smart Shunt and Blue Smart Charger settings

Greetings all,

I have Victron Blue Smart Charger 12V15A and Victron Smart Shunt and a Powertech MPPT MP 3743 charging two 200VA lithium batteries in parallel.

The Smart Shunt is setup as per the Victron Lithium recommended settings. The Shunt when charged show at 100% and around 13.8 volts and when I connect the external 240V into the Blue Smart Charger it is still charging on bulk charge even when the Shunt shows at 100%. The Smart Charger is set to 14.4 volts.

Is this all correct? I cannot see how to change the charge voltage of the Blue Smart Charger?

I'd appreciate some advice please.

Thanks, Noel .

chargerSmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Enable advanced settings.

In advanced settings, enable expert mode, select user defined.

SoC sync works llike this:

When voltage has been AT "charged" and current is BELOW "tail current" for X minutes, set 100%.

Since you are charging with solar (it's not always reliable), you should set your smartshunt charged voltage to 0.2V below the MPPT absorption voltage and your tail current to 6%.

13.8V with PV charging 400Ah, it's going to be pretty easy to get a false sync. 6% of 400Ah is 24A - a current the blue smart can't attain, so after X minutes at 13.8V (usually 3 minutes). The shunt will sync even before the battery is full with the blue smart charger due to its low current.

By increasing charged voltage to 0.2V below absorption, sync will occur much later in the charge.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Noel Rath avatar image
Noel Rath answered ·

Thanks very much for your help. I am still somewhat confused.

I thought that the MPPT absorption voltage is normally 14.4 volts. Is that correct. Therefore should I be setting the SmartShunt voltage to 14.2 volts or as in the SmartShunt manual where it says that the charge voltage should be set to at least 13.8 volts for normal batteries. What should I set the charge to?

I cannot see the advianced settings option on the Smart Shunt Bluetooth app.

My apologies for my ignorance on these matters.

Thanks, Noel

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

You asked:

I cannot see how to change the charge voltage of the Blue Smart Charger?

The advanced options were for the charger, not the shunt.

Smartshunt Manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/SmartShunt/9172-Manual_BMV_and_SmartShunt-pdf-en.pdf

Page 40

If the battery monitor does not synchronise automatically, one possibility could be that the battery never reaches a fully charged state. Fully charge the battery and see if the state of charge eventually indicates 100%. Another possibility is that the charged voltage setting [22] should be lowered and/or the tail current setting [23] should be increased.

A LFP battery is fully charged @ 14.4V when the tail current has dropped to 0.05C or 5% or 20A in your case, so I recommend you set the tail current to 6% to ensure it syncs.

It is also possible that the battery monitor synchronises too early. This can happen in solar systems or in systems that have fluctuating charge currents. If this is the case change the following settings: • Increase the “charged voltage [22]" to slightly below the absorption charge voltage. For example: 14.2V in case of 14.4V absorption voltage (for a 12V battery)

14.2V vs. 14.4V is 0.2V below absoprtion.

1 comment
2 |3000

Noel Rath avatar image Noel Rath commented ·

Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources