question

bernsh avatar image
bernsh asked

Blue Smart 12/30 (3) different settings per output

Hi!
Basically the same question as

Blue Smart IP22 charger - multiple output to different battery types (EFB+ & AGM) by robot75

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/88292/blue-smart-ip22-charger-multiple-output-to-differe.html

but:

I want to charge EFB+, AGM and Lifepo4 at the same time in my camper van.

thx in advance,

best regards, bernsh

bluesmart ip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
anthony avatar image
anthony answered ·

You can charge three different batteries of the same chemistry. You cannot individually tailor each output to a specific battery chemistry. Anthony

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Mostly, it depends on the Absorption voltage for each battery. If you want to charge three different chemistries, then you need to use the lowest Absorption voltage, and face the fact that the higher voltage batteries won't get fully charged.

5 comments
2 |3000

ultrazak avatar image ultrazak commented ·

Do I understand correctly that the recommended absorption voltages for EFB are 14.8 V, for AGM 14.5-14.8 V, and for LiFePO4 13.3-13.4 V? And accordingly, the lowest LiFePo and the total absorption voltage should be set to 13.4V?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ ultrazak commented ·

The default Victron lithium charging algorithm has 14,2V absorption voltage.

It's one charger with multiple outputs not multiple chargers in one case.

All outputs are internally parallel but also isolated so that no current can flow between the batteries. The batteries need a common ground connection.

Charging multiple batteries with different chemistry is not recommended because you only can charge one of them with the correct voltage, for the others the voltage will be to high or to low.

@ultrazak I deleted you other comments. Digging out multiple old questions about a similar topic is not appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
ultrazak avatar image ultrazak Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Overall I understand, thank you. But I wanted to clarify, if two batteries with the same chemistry, but one is discharged to 12V, and the second to 13.9V, then by what charging algorithm will they both be charged? Bulk or absorbtion or both in different ways?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ ultrazak commented ·
The charger always starts with bulk.

If one battery is at 12V and the other at 13,9V than most of the current will go into the battery with 12V until both are the same voltage.

"Current goes the path with the least resistant"

It's easier to go into the empty battery than in the almost full battery.

The charger goes into absorption after the configured absorption voltage is reached on both batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
ultrazak avatar image ultrazak Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thanks a lot

0 Likes 0 ·
regman54 avatar image
regman54 answered ·

Also, in addition to what has been said, take note of what each of YOUR battery manufacturer recommends for each of their particular battery's charge profile. Some AGMs for example like I have require a slightly higher charge profile than what generic AGM charge profiles are.

2 |3000