question

jojogomez avatar image
jojogomez asked

BUG in new Firmware EV Charger 2.94

Hello,

there is a Bug or wrong configuration Item in the new EV Charger Software.

You can define Start Charging if SOC is XXX and at the Moment Stop Stop Charging if OFF Grid.

This make no sence. In Case that I have more PV than i can charge in my House Battery first the EV Charger will not start if the cinfigured SOC is reached. The Stop funktion is not a Stop function. The funktion is the value when he stop Charging the Car from the Battery. Charge Car with House Battery makes no sence in any situation. If I try to set the Stop value higer than the Start Value i get an error Message.

The funktion must be:

1. Start if the Battery has SOC xxx makes only sense if I want to set a Priotity to the car.

2. Stop should be available as an value higher than the Start so that I can Charge Battery and Car if I have enough pv but stop chargeing the car if sun is not enough and not start discharging the house battery.

In the old firmware version the battery was load to 100 % and the EV Charge starts if I have more PV as I can Charge in the Battery or if House Battery has SOC 100% and stop automatic if Soc is 99%. This was the right function. The new is buggy.

Regards Thomas

ev charging station
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Automatic mode is charging with the excess power from the sun. That's why, when the battery is higher than a certain value, it will start charging the vehicle, also allowing the battery to continue charging. When there is not enough PV power, it will stop.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jojogomez avatar image jojogomez commented ·
I have no chance to configure start ealier if PV is enougt to charge Car and battery togehther. in the old version it had work. But now the new funktion use the house battery to charge the car. this make no sence. It´s nessesary that the start Value can be higher than the stop value so you are able to use all pv internal and put less to the grid. in the current situation for examnlpe my PV produce 5000 Watt. my Battery can olnly charge with 35 A /1700 Watt. The Soc ist for example 20 % and the ex Charger ist configured to 80 %. So 3300 Watt go to Grid in Case thatb then Chager can start. All this was fine in the old version. Now the Charge waiting until SOC is the configured Value equal if produce more than I can use internal.

Not good :-(

0 Likes 0 ·
jojogomez avatar image jojogomez commented ·
It woll sop at the moment if the Stop SOC is reached. I Think the new funktion is wrong and also named wrong.
0 Likes 0 ·
Tobias Franklin avatar image Tobias Franklin commented ·
@Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) does this new update mean that my ESS system (feed-in disabled and taking a 50W grid set point)

will now be able to use my excess solar production based around battery SOC?

If so can I add this ability in conjunction with a timer (eg use the SOC rules but also only between xx:xx and xx:xx?)

I've been holding off buying a smart ev charger and relying on a granny charger using a digital timer and the programmable relay as a work around while waiting for this feature to come to Victron kit!

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Tobias Franklin commented ·
Yes, if SOC higher than XX and enough PV power, it will start charging. In not enough PV power, it will stop.
1 Like 1 ·
jojogomez avatar image jojogomez Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
But an important case is not supported anymore. If I have a 100 A battery and one Multiplus 3000 for example the maximum Battery charge value is 35 A. If my PV Inverters produce much more than the 25 the Charge will not start until the SOC XX will reached. SO I have a Time where I Feed in the Grid . During this Time I have no chance to Charge the car in Auto Mode. This was working in the old Version. So I think for the Next update it will be fine to get a new Value where I can exactly enable this. Not all use the Victron as an offgrid system.

Regards Thomas

0 Likes 0 ·
jojogomez avatar image
jojogomez answered ·

And the wording is wrong in the Charger software. The new value is not Stop charging if Backup . It must be named Stop "Discharging" :-)

10 comments
2 |3000

It will stop charging the vehicle, the naming is correct, And you can configure it to start charging even at 50% SOC if you want, why do you think it's not going to work? There are lots of customers already using this new charging algorithm.

But, if you have issues, you can send me an email with the VRM ID of your system and I can have a look.
0 Likes 0 ·
jojogomez avatar image jojogomez Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

With the new FW, the possibility of starting charging the car before the SOC value was removed if there was a PV excess and simultaneous maximum battery charge. And as I said, your statement is not correct that the 2nd value stops loading. That doesn't make any sense either, since the 2nd value must always be smaller than the first. Therefore the 2nd value is the value up to which the battery is discharged. I tested it. Charging stop makes no sense why should I stop charging the car at a certain battery power. That contradicts itself in meaning.

0 Likes 0 ·

With the new FW, the possibility of starting charging the car before the SOC value was removed if there was a PV excess and simultaneous maximum battery charge. And as I said, your statement is not correct that the 2nd value stops loading. That doesn't make any sense either, since the 2nd value must always be smaller than the first. Therefore the 2nd value is the value up to which the battery is discharged. I tested it. Charging stop makes no sense why should I stop charging the car at a certain battery power. That contradicts itself in meaning.

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ jojogomez commented ·

When you are off grid, you want to avoid completely discharging the backup battery by charging the vehicle. And that's what the second value is doing, it will stop charging the vehicle when the backup battery SOC is going below it.
I hope it's clear now.

0 Likes 0 ·
OK clear for me but why is it not allowed to set the start Value lower than the sop Value. This is the main point if you have more PV as you can Charge into the battery so the Car loading can start in paralell. At the monment this option is off in Case of Low Soc State the charger is totally off. in the old version it starts if more than 6 A is available equal if the Battery is full. It would help to get this feature back so all we be able to use the PV more efficient.
0 Likes 0 ·
jojogomez avatar image jojogomez jojogomez commented ·
Or an option to disable the Start Value :-)
0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ jojogomez commented ·

Off grid, charging the vehicle, will start when SOC is HIGHER than first value (In Automatic mode), and it will stop when LOWER than second value (in both Manual and Automatic mode).
When the second value is higher than the first, the logic above can't work

0 Likes 0 ·
This is Not correct but ok. How Can i downgrade to the old Version. I think you want Not understand the Point . Not all have Victron as an offgrid System. My is Ess with External inverters. So i Produce More Power as i can Store with ohne multiplus 3000 in the Battery. But if soc is for example ließ than 50% the ev will Not Start Equal if i have enough to Charge both. Otherwise of i set Start for example to 20% the stop can only be 19% so in all Situations the Battery will be discharged equal to the pc Peer and Start value. So your Statement 2nd Must be lower makes no Sense for me.
0 Likes 0 ·

If you want, you can create your custom setup with node-red for example. EVCS can be fully controlled over Modbus TCP

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/199704/ev-charging-station-api-or-remote-access.html

0 Likes 0 ·

UHH. I´m not aware how to confugure this. What is the ssh Root PW for the Charger ? Can someone help me here ?

Whitch parameter do I need to modify if I will get the following result:

1. EV Charger should start any time if my EM24 shows more than 6 A / 1400 W excess ( 1Phase connection).

1.1 If the battery is not 100 % primary load Battery and look if the Excess is existing in Case the battery will charched in Maximum. Works with the old FW version.)

2. Never Discharge the Battery to Charge the car.

My Multiplus is in ESS Config.

1682241010277.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1682241010277.png (185.2 KiB)
jojogomez avatar image
jojogomez answered ·

But an important case is not supported anymore. If I have a 100 A battery and one Multiplus 3000 for example the maximum Battery charge value is 35 A. If my PV Inverters produce much more than the 25 the Charge will not start until the SOC XX will reached. SO I have a Time where I Feed in the Grid . During this Time I have no chance to Charge the car in Auto Mode. This was working in the old Version. So I think for the Next update it will be fine to get a new Value where I can exactly enable this. Not all use the Victron as an offgrid system.

Regards Thomas

1 comment
2 |3000

You can force it to work as before. Over Modbus TCP, modify the register 5065. Should be 0 for 'feed-in' mode.

0 Likes 0 ·