question

odysseus85 avatar image
odysseus85 asked

Multiplus II - running solar and generator at the same time

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your help!

Here is my setup:

Im running an Multiplus 2 5000 most time on grid. But we experienced many long blackouts latetly so i switched our elektric heating system from AC-IN to AC-OUT1 and also our solar panels to assist an slower Battery discharge. Since the last times the Blackout was over night I bought an Generator and connected it to AC-Out2 with same setting in Venus OS.

I've searched the internet but couldn't find an clear YES or NO regarding the Multiplus 2. The Quattro is extra designed for that, this is clear.

Here is my question:

would it be possible to run the generator (if needed) also on daytime when the solar panels produce energy or does this setup only work at night time? Does the Multiplus feed in the Battery from two sources or will the Voltage from AC-OUT1 make interference on AC-OUT2 or even destroy my generator?

victron-ody.png

Multiplus-IIGenerator
victron-ody.png (210.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
315rlts avatar image
315rlts answered ·

My input is more a question than a resolution: if the grid is down, won't the PV Inverter stop working? It was my understanding a PV Inverter will only work if it can sync to an active grid. I could be wrong--not an expert by any means.

If I'm right about the PV Inverter and the grid, if the grid is active the generator isn't needed to work simultaneously with solar, right?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

odysseus85 avatar image odysseus85 commented ·

Hello 315rlts,
no it wont stop working since its connected to AC-OUT1. Only if it is connected to AC-IN it will stop.

BUT you have to cut the connection automaticly to grid on failure. It is not allowed to keep connection alive and you have to cut also neutral not only the live wire.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Odysseus85 it looks like you are running a gas generator on the output of a multiplus??

You can not run a generator on the output of a multi. Very bad thing are likely to happen, sparks, flames, smoke and likely broken multi and generator.

Please reconsider you plan.

2 |3000

udod avatar image
udod answered ·

Hi this will not work (I wouldn't even try it).

Please check https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

The only way to connect a generator to a Multi seems to be the AC IN with some modifications to the setting (you can't run ESS in parallel).

As far as I can see there are some workarounds (not cheap)..

Buy a Loader which is capable of charging the direktly to the Battery.

Add a second Multi only for the purpose of loading via Generator (configure it accordingly):

1681910218987.png

A third option is to look out for a DC Generator, but it looks like they cost more than standard Generator with another Multi.

So overall either an Quattro or two Multis or one Multi with a manual swich and some config updates..

Unfortunately it's in German:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITbhM_119xs

1681910218987.png (550.0 KiB)
2 |3000

odysseus85 avatar image
odysseus85 answered ·

-It is correct that ESS has first to be turned off but this takes only 2 min. Considering that our last BLackout was 7 hours its a small price to pay ;-)

-No, my generator is with Diesel not natural gas. And it has an Inverter.

-Here are my system options in the setup (sorry for the german language on the screenshot) >>

1.jpg

Thank you for the youtube video, since I am a german native speaker i will watch it asap :-)

1.jpg (60.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, there is a German speaking section on this forum, if you post your questions there you might get to your answer quicker.
0 Likes 0 ·