question

topnotchit avatar image
topnotchit asked

Hello connecting a digital input. (for a noob)

I have the configuration attached on my boat. The float switch turns on, and the pump runs, until the float switch turns off. This is 12v line and runs about 3-4amps. How do I wire in the digital input so I can see when the pump is ruining when not at the boat? People have stated I need a relay and/or optocoupler. But where would I wire this in, which relay, which octocouoler. I really can't seem to figure this out and need someone to explain it super simple :-) thank so you so much!

screenshot-20230414-035808-duckduckgo.jpg

cerbo gxinput current
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marcve avatar image marcve commented ·

If the pump and float function by themselves, you need nothing else but connect it to the output of the inverter. This way, it will run on your inverter's battery or grid. You don't need it to program it through a digital input, if you only need the basic function.

0 Likes 0 ·
topnotchit avatar image topnotchit marcve commented ·
I thank you. But I was wanting to see if the bilge pump is running when away from the boat via VRM. So I need to close the circuit on the Cerbo.
0 Likes 0 ·
marcve avatar image marcve topnotchit commented ·
@topnotchit. I think it is better to have a separate float-switch on one of the digital inputs and let the bilge-pump work by itself. This way, you can see if your bilge-pump is working properly. ( float-switch on pump might be closed, but bilge-pump stalled ). This is also a lot easier then integrating a sensor in your bilge-pump, because for this, you need to break the waterproof seal,
0 Likes 0 ·
topnotchit avatar image topnotchit marcve commented ·
Thank you. As in the diagram, I already have a separate float switch from the pump. I just want the Cerbo to know when it is running so I can trigger an alarm. Thank you.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

if you take the active switch wire from the pump and connect it to the cerbo digital connection 1 then when the pump turns on this sends the signal high and the cerbo will then count this as on, when the pump float turns off the signal will go low and the cerbo will report a off state.

you can use all 4 if you want one for each bilge pump.

this has worked fine for me

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

topnotchit avatar image topnotchit commented ·
So which wires to connect to the digital input from the pump? Positive or negative? Just cut the wire and run both to the Cerbo? I thought the Cerbo was 5v max or 3v3. The pump is 12v. Thank you
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell topnotchit commented ·
I also think the max voltage you can put on a digital input is 5V so you can not wire it like the suggestion. I do not have drawing ability on my device so I will describe a design. Get a small low current rated 12V relay, say 1A normally open. Connect the positive wire going to the pump to the relay coil and connect the other side of the coil to negative. Then connect the switch contacts to the Cerbo digital input. When the pump is on the relay coil energizes which closes the switch and activates the digital input.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources