question

markus-schlehan avatar image
markus-schlehan asked

Can VRM connect to GX behind Cloud - Starlink using CGNAT

I use Starlink, means using CGNAT and having a not routable IP4 address. So there should be no problem for my GX to connect to VRM and sending data there. But how can VRM (or any other client) access the GX. We are in the planning phase and I dont see how this shall work? Starlink also offers business connection with static IP4 addressing, but thats far away from payable.

Any help or ideas here?

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Static addressing isn't required, next to no one has a static IP.

There are other users here with Starlink and it works fine.

There isn't a consumer ISP out there that doesn't NAT.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markus-schlehan answered ·

Thanks. ISPs use Carrier-Grade NAT (CGNAT) to conserve IP addresses. My ISP(Starlink) assigns a single IP address to multiple customers, and those customers rely on the same IP address. So I would mean, without any special effort, it will not work?

2 |3000

gone-sailing avatar image
gone-sailing answered ·

I use a LTE router and my system is behind carriers CGNAT. Everything works fine, including being able to connect to the GX's console remotely.

1 comment
2 |3000

markus-schlehan avatar image markus-schlehan commented ·
Thanks Skipper, for sharing your know-how.
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I am on Starlink and have no issues with any of the VRM or GX functionality, everything works as expected.

I regularly remotely connect to my system via VRM, and do two way communication to update firmware and settings.

2 |3000

markus-schlehan answered ·

Thanks Guy, that is interesting. You have a normal Starlink account, not a business one with static IP, don't you?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic