question

ghostrider avatar image
ghostrider asked

MPPT Recent Intermittent Venus Connection

Have a Venus Pi... my MPPT is connected with ve.Direct USB cable to Pi. Its worked great for years but recently is super intermittent on logging data. Detected by the Pi maybe every 5-10 days for 20 minutes, then gone again. Not uploading any historical data when it comes online.

Not listed in devices and I don't see it when I SSH using DBus Spy.

The BMV, GPS, Ruuvi & Mopeka sensors in the system continue to run strong.

MPPT appears to be working 100% of the time. I can connect with BT to VictronConnect and see it working. Just no data flow to the Pi.

Swapped USB ports on the Pi and same result. I replaced the ve.Direct > USB cable and same result.

Any tips? Its my MPPT dying? Bad Firmware Update?

I'm out of ideas.

MPPT Controllerscerbo gx
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marcve avatar image marcve commented ·

@ghostrider. I would install the venus software on a new sd card, and run your Pi from it. MAybe this fixes the problem, and you can go from there.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

for testing try a 1.8 mtr ve direct cable, cables close to10 mtr can sometimes give issues, or test it on a cerbo or ccgx if you can.

another cause can be that the ve direct uart in the mppt may be damaged ie lightning etc

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.