question

micha854 avatar image
micha854 asked

Two storages in VenusOS, same product ID???

Hello! We have connected two memories in Venus OS via CAN!

I've now noticed that both have the same product ID of 512! This means that only one memory is listed in the device list, and that is the one that was recognized last.

Sometimes that's memory A and sometimes memory B Can anyone tell where the product id is set?

I'm very familiar with Python and would be able to fix it myself PS: I have the two memories merged with "Battery Aggregate"

Happy Easter Monday everyone!

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered Ā·

Hi, Venus OS only supports connecting one CanBUS-BMS-connected battery (like Pylon, BYD, Freedomwon, and other CAN connected third party batteries).

Also note that that limitation is not just in Venus OS, its also in the protocol: the CAN BMS protocol is not suitable for connecting multiple batteries. The protocol has no addressing for example.

Lastly, I donā€™t know what ā€œBattery aggregratorā€ is. Sounds like an add on that someone programmed. Not Victron.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

micha854 avatar image micha854 commented Ā·

Hello, that's ok too. I'm adding pictures here that show that only one monitor is recognized/listed at a time. I know because multiple monitors can be registered in the VRM, but with different instances. I choose my actual battery monitor in the settings

bat.png

list.png

The DIY memory is missing here

screenshot-2023-04-11-142801.png

The DIY memory is missing here

The "BatteryAggregator" combines all detected batteries into one and can then be used as a battery monitor

@mvader your statement is not entirely correct! According to the screenshot, several batteries are recognized and displayed.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
bat.png (5.6 KiB)
list.png (25.9 KiB)
nickdb avatar image nickdb ā™¦ā™¦ micha854 commented Ā·
That capability was added in the beta.

Unfortunately there is little support for DIY batteries, less so for betas so while it may work it may not work as you want it to.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
micha854 avatar image micha854 nickdb ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

which beta version? I tried the latest one with no success

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ micha854 commented Ā·
Hi, thats not in an official beta.

I really dont know what that is about.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ā™¦ā™¦ mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

My error, I thought he was referring to the system seeing multiple BMS's and being able to select which one he wants which is part of v3 RC.

He is in fact talking about battery monitors under system setup.

screenshot-2023-04-13-at-075559.png

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ micha854 commented Ā·

Hi again, I updates my statement to make it a bit more clear.

Please believe me: Iā€™m not making this up or trying to be difficult; how that is is just a fact.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
micha854 avatar image
micha854 answered Ā·

Please tell me how I can ensure that a CAN gets another VRM instance

2 |3000

Related Resources