question

mijbil avatar image
mijbil asked

Camper van battery protection not resetting, and clicking from the relay

i have a VW T5 with a 12v leisure battery connected to vehicle battery via a 140A Sensitive Relay (Portable Power Technology). It also has a 150W solar panel and SmartSolar controller MPPT 75/15 to the leisure battery.

The battery protection is kicking in around 12.4v, but then it won’t reset after a short period of running the ignition, or if the solar charge brings the battery back to good levels. I’ve driven the van for 6 hours and it doesn’t come back on, then occasionally it just starts working again. Then it will work fine for a few weeks before doing it again. Normally running the engine for a few minutes is sufficient. Solar is also bringing the battery up to 14v and it’s holding the charge. Just nothing is working on the 12v system. I’ve checked fuses and they are fine, and that wouldn’t explain why it just randomly turns back on again eventually.

I also have a clicking noise coming from the 140 relay under the bonnet, not sure if there is a link with the two issues or not.

I’m not getting any error codes showing up with the Victron unit, so not sure where to start. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
marcve avatar image
marcve answered ·

@mijbil. Did you check the following ? It is from the unit's manual.

screenshot-2023-04-09-at-143902.jpg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.