question

derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas asked

ExtTransferSwitch incompatible with 3.00-32

@Kevin Windrem I cannot get exttransferswitch to install on beta 3.00-32. I tried removing the package and then re-adding it and it shows 'incompatible??' where it would usually show the installed version.

cerbo gx and 2 mp2 in parallel. I was on 2.92 for a long time and it worked on that one fine.

Venus OSVenus OS v3.00-32exttransferswitch
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I just added support for v3.00~32. Give it another try.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

derrick thomas answered ·

@Kevin Windrem it installed automatically but I am not able to select the transfer switch in digital inputs. The button will not tick.

4 comments
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
Disregard. Sorry, my bad. It was late and I was tired. A simple reboot and all is well. Doh!
0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas derrick thomas commented ·

@Kevin Windrem guess I spoke too soon. Incoming ac type does not switch between shore and gen when the ats digital input switches state. I had to roll back to 2.92 because of some other issues with ESS but I am willing to flip back over to the beta to test this for you if you update the ats mod.

edit:

well dang it now i'm stuck. It seems that the 3.00-32 beta updated something in node red so now if I try to go back to 2.92 a bunch of my flows will not work anymore, so now I am stuck on the beta. So I guess I'm hoping for a fix on the exttransferswitch. I should have left well enough alone.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem derrick thomas commented ·

I have discovered some issues stemming from Victron adding a digital input type for touch enable/disable. This pushed the value for external transfer switch control down one and on some systems that value can't be set. Working on a fix.

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas Kevin Windrem commented ·

@Kevin Windrem After rebooting the gx I was able to select exttransferswitch for the digital input but activating the input had no effect on the ac input type(does not change to/from generator as source). I'm assuming that is part of the same issue that you discovered but I wanted to let you know just in case it's not. Also when shutting down the generator after a manual start from the gx, once it stopped the gx then continued to rapidly switch state of the relay resulting in the generator control cycling rapidly. Again, I realize this might all be related but I wanted to make sure you have all the info.

Thanks so much for all the work you do!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Should be fixed now as of v2.4

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem answered ·

Note, you may need to change the digital input type when upgrading from v2.93 or earlier as the enumerations for type have changed.

5 comments
2 |3000

I'll try to get back to this and confirm it's fixed in a day or two. I'm traveling at the moment.
0 Likes 0 ·
@Kevin Windrem I was having too many issues with the Venus beta 3.00-32 so I updated to 2.93 normal release. The exttransferswitch digital input is acting like an alarm now. After selecting exttransferswitch for the digital input, when I go to the device list ATS either shows OK or ALARM depending if I invert it or not. Before it showed shore or gen.
0 Likes 0 ·
check the digital input programming. New values were added the pushed the selection for external transfer switch to a higher number. I think you'll find that it's no longer set to ext transfer switch and you'll need to set it again.
0 Likes 0 ·

Yes that was the first thing I checked. It was on external transfer switch. I even tried disabling it and selecting it again but it didn't make a difference. Even with the digital input disabled it still comes up on the device list and on the digital inputs overview page. I tried rolling back to the previous transfer switch version with no change. I even tried uninstalling the package, went through the whole process including the reboot, the package shows no longer installed, but it is still an option in the digital inputs list, and ats is still on the device list and the digital inputs overview page.

Edit: after 2 reboots it finally acted right. Musta been some kinda glitch. Sorry for all the trouble Kevin. I really appreciate your patience.

0 Likes 0 ·
Glad it is working. I could not duplicate the problem here.

BTW, the entry in the device list is just the digital input. It's confusing. I've been fooled by this a number of times.

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas answered ·

@Kevin Windrem sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this. Today when I was running the generator the ac input tile did not switch from shore to generator. Once power passed through the transfer switch and the surge protector the input tile lit up as shore. The digital input state did change from shore to generator, and the digital input 1 which is set to generator did switch from stopped to running. On the generator overview page the power input tile remained blank. When I shut down the generator the exttransferswitch digital input did switch back to shore.

I know there were quite a few changes from 2.93 to 3.00 so I'm betting that also effected the generator logic. I'm fairly certain the settings are correct but if there is something else I need to look at feel free to let me know.

Edit: one more thing I discovered. I manually inverted the digital inputs to see if the ac input tile would switch to generator, which it did not. When I switched inverted state back, the ats device then changed to 'on grid' but I have the ac input type set to 'shore'. I tried switching the ac1 input type to grid and then back to shore but it had no effect on the ats state. It will not change to shore.

3 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
You must set the input type, ac current limit and Do not run generator when on grid manually for on grid and on generator states.

That is, set the digital input to on grid and set the input type to shore and the appropriate current limit for shore power. Also enable do not run generator when on grid.

Next, set the digital input to on generator then set the input type to generator, the appropriate current limit for your generator and disable Do not run generator when on grid.

Now toggling the digital input should switch between those two conditions.

0 Likes 0 ·

I have followed your instructions step by step half a dozen times, even rebooting the cerbo and trying again. I even tried uninstalling exttransferswitch/system reboot/reinstall/reboot again. After making all the settings as you said, when I toggle the ats digital input, the digital input state will change between on grid/generator but nothing else changes. The ac input tile and ac input limit stays the same.

One more thing... no problems with exttransferswitch setup and working properly on 2.93.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

I found the problem and fixed in v2.5.

I had an uninitialized variable that sometimes caused problems first pass. I saw the problem mostly after boot.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Venus OS v3.00 – Generator start/stop improvements, ESS Peak shaving