question

ikeakayke avatar image
ikeakayke asked

ESS Multiphase Regulation - new mode "Mixed" needed

Hi all,

By default I need to use individual phase regulations for various reasons: operator not explicitly allowing it, unstable and voltage getting to high, nothing I can do about it, being in a rural area and no plans to invest in local infrastructure.

I also use mypv acthors to consume surplus, everything works great.

Now assume 3~ quattros 10kva/8kw loaded at 7kw/each. Now a new single-phased consumer gets online and loads say the first quattro to 10kw so current loads are 10kw, 7kw, 7kw. At this point 1st quattro is overloaded and has to get 2kw power from grid L1.

It would be very nice if for overload occasions the other 2 quattros on L2 and L3 could compensate for the grid on L1.

Victron already has the best software and I think this could be a perfect addition. If victron can't do it, I'm willing to help with the coding if anyone could pinpoint me in the right direction as to where to start. Does this need updating the ESS assistant in quattros? or can this be done just from the cerbo itself? If from cerbo, is it some .py script or one of the binaries?

Thanks!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ikeakayke avatar image ikeakayke commented ·
Forgot to mention, all Victron only, so no AC coupled PV, just DC coupled MPPTs so no phase-to-dc-to-phase shenanigans.
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
ikeakayke avatar image
ikeakayke answered ·

Did a little research and it seems there's 3 ways to do this:

1 - not optimal - simple script to manually check loads on each phase, if overload,Use change Hub4Mode to 1 (multiphase) instead of my default 2 (individual). When overload gone, switch to mode 2. But this will probably offset more than just the overload itself.

2 - Use Hub4Mode 3 (custom/external control) then use multibus-tcp to control everything... seems too much of a hassle maintaining every aspect when all I need is probably setpoint of each inverter.

3 - Modify / hack hub4control process to take the "mixed" mode into account, but I can't find any sources to that

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ikeakayke avatar image
ikeakayke answered ·

Perhaps a better name would be 'individual phase + overload regulation'.

What do you think @mvader (Victron Energy) ? It sounds like a very good feature to me and probably easy to implement. It would be perfect for the official v3 launch.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi @ikeakayke , thank you for the suggestion + offer to help.

Adding this is too late for the v3.00 launch: that is on a "feature freeze" and depending on a few things will be released in the coming days and otherwise I hope next week.

I'll have time to look into/discuss this not next week but the week thereafter.

1 Like 1 ·
ikeakayke avatar image
ikeakayke answered ·

Thank you so much!

2 |3000