question

iand avatar image
iand asked

What's the delay with bigger Quattro II ?

Q2 2023 price list out today, still the biggest Quattro II is 48/5000, as has been the case for 18 months (appeared in Q4 2021 price list. Don't want to use original Quattro due to high standby power and old design.

Means I'm going to have to use either 2 Quattro II 48/5000 (size, cost) or a Multiplus II 48/10000 with an external ATS (pain to program with changing currents and screen labels), either is a PITA.

Surely there would be a big market for the bigger Quattro II, like for the original Quattro? Is it ever going to happen? :-(

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@IanD

Manufacture and supply of product delays is still a thing (thanks covid).

I doubt it is a deliberate action on the part of Victron to miss out on a ready market.

FYI community guidlines state not to ask why x y or z will be available.

screenshot-20230404-174031.jpg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iand avatar image
iand answered ·

I know about the guidelines, but I'm getting really frustrated -- when the first Quattro II emerged 18 months ago I assumed (as did my boatbuilder) that the bigger ones would follow in reasonably quickly, certainly in time for when I needed them (now!) -- especially given that the bigger Multiplus II (8k and 10k) also made the price list in 2021 Q4. Six quarterly price lists later there's still no sign, and nothing on the blog website either... :-(

6 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·
@IanD It is not just about bringing out new products, but also ensuring ongoing support for a substantial existing installed base and often very large installations consisting of current models.
1 Like 1 ·
iand avatar image iand ejrossouw commented ·

I realise that, I'm in the electronics industry. It just seems strange to bring out the Quattro II 48/5000 and bigger Multiplus II, and then not release any bigger Quattro II for a year and a half.

I suspect this may be related to the ability to run them in parallel which the bigger MP II don't do, this would be essential for the market for bigger Quattros but would presumably need hardware design changes... ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
And on boats i would have though the older units would be better? Maybe bot soace wise, but definitely in proven reliability and the case?
0 Likes 0 ·
iand avatar image iand Alexandra ♦ commented ·

The problem with the older Quattro/Multiplus -- apart from any future support/maintainance issue with a product built with hard-to-obtain older electronic components (yes I've seen inside, and I'm in the electronics business) -- is no-load power consumption, which is specified at 60W for the Quattro 48/10000 but has been reported as up to 100W by multiple users, including my boatbuilder. The Quattro II should have the same 38W rating as the MP II -- the difference might not sound like much, but is 0.5kWh/day (more than a fridge) even if the Quattro meets 60W, and is 1.5kWh/day at 100W.

On a boat using largely solar power, this makes a big difference, especially in winter...

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ Alexandra ♦ commented ·
It also has half the input relays, something that is a pain for ESS certification but is less likely to fail, if robustness is important.

0 Likes 0 ·
iand avatar image iand nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
That depends on whether you think the extra relays in the new models are more or less reliable than the massive controller PCB covered in hundreds of components and connectors on the old models... ;-)
0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

I (and some of my bigger customers) wait for the day, when the Quattro-II 48/15000 arrive, and we can sell back real kiloWatts with 3 Phase and 2-4 parallel.

Selling back 144kW would be great, because one of my customers got the permission, to install a 40kW windmill, two 30kW Fronius Inverter and six RS 48/200. However, the windmill will be not active before end of 2024.

This installation would cover from April to September the whole power consumption of my customer and he could even sell back some Megawatts...

1 comment
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

What is your selling point to the customer promoting one (already proven) over something that does not exist yet? So, while you can wait, I'd personally rather have something provide substantial value today as opposed the potentially insignificant anticipated benenfit later ;)

0 Likes 0 ·