question

semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj asked

Running 2 x Multi RS Solar's in series

I know the multi rs solar doesn't support parallel running of units but would two of them operate in series?

1) How would this work in VRM? Would only one show up?

2) would they be individually available in NodeRed?

3) I know the units frequency shift the mains slightly to see if there is any mains input. Would two of them interact in a strange way?

4) am I likely to get the combined output of 5.3KW x 2 at the output continuously or would there be a lower limit?

The only thing in my house not running through the multi at present is a shower which would likely be 8.5KW or 9.5KW. I'm partly curious if two units would run this for 15 minutes. Also, I've got plenty of battery storage that two units could use but at present any load over 5.3KW is supplemented by DNO which i'd like to avoid as I also have plenty of solar in the summer.

Multi RS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj answered ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Could you help with this?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Semlohnhoj

Power assisting a load using one inverter off anothers out out is not a supported set up. Neither is two inverters shaeing one GX unless configured as one system, something that the RS cannot do as you know.

The Multi RS has a max output of 30A. (Stated in the tech specs.) So at 230V that is 6900W, would not be able to power assist above that.

You could always downsize the shower unit.

2 |3000

semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj answered ·

The irony is, we don't even have a shower at present but that's another story :)

The manual at section 3.3 States that the unit can power assist an additional 25A continuous to the input (which is limited to 30A), which adds up to 55A. Or am I missing something? 25A from 2 units in series would be 50A although I know this isn't a supported configuration.

I can get around the issue with the GX for now until there is finally support for parallel and I understand series isn't a supported option. Just working through where the show stoppers would be.

screenshot-20230408-174217-edge.jpg

2 |3000