question

erik-wahlstrom avatar image
erik-wahlstrom asked

BMV-712 reporting 6amp charge, even when disconnected.

I'm having issues with the BMV-712. No matter what I do, it registers a charge current of about 6amps and 100% SOC. It's rather odd.

img-3662.png

Here's my system. It's based on the Explorist Life design:

img-3652.jpg

Everything seems to work, but the shunt claims:

• There is a 5-6amp charge
  • 100% SOC
  • 0.0 Consumed Ah

I've read a bunch and am aware of the the issue of wiring the BMV-712 backwards. I've checked and re-checked it. Here is the bottom of the left side of the shunt, which says "Battery Only", and indeed that wire connects directly to the battery bank and nothing else:

img-3670.jpg

I've disconnected the right hand terminal, and it still reads a ~6amp charge:

img-3672-2.jpg

I've also tried the zero current calibration. When I click the button, nothing happens. No indication it worked or failed.

Zero Current Calibration Here's a video of the procedure. It's quite bad but shows the relevant screens I think.

Do you have any ideas?

battery chargingBMV Battery Monitor
img-3662.png (740.5 KiB)
img-3652.jpg (2.1 MiB)
img-3670.jpg (1.2 MiB)
img-3672-2.jpg (2.5 MiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Please repost the links.

1 Like 1 ·
erik-wahlstrom avatar image erik-wahlstrom commented ·

I updated the images and added a video. Not sure why they didn’t take the first time.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
erik-wahlstrom avatar image
erik-wahlstrom answered ·

It turned out it was my RJ12 cable. I shortened it, and apparently in so doing crossed two wires. I crimped on a new connector and everything is working.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.