question

Stephen Otto avatar image
Stephen Otto asked

Making connection between wire and MPPT

I have a Smartsolar 150/70, and I'm trying to determine precisely how to connect my 10 AWG cable to the IN terminals of the controller. Do I simply toss my bare wire into the connector on the controller and screw down, or is there a crimp connector (with heat shrink) that I can use that will provide a more solid connection?

MPPT Controllerswiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Those rising clamp terminals are designed to be used with multi stranded wire for the most reliable connection.
I don't like to use a crimp or ferrule with rising clamp terminals. I use ferrules on screw down terminals though (the type where the screw it's self bears down onto the strands).

On page 19 of this rather excellent article written my Victron's Margreet Leeftink, there is a better description: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdkngditufe0zfb/Wiring%20Unlimited.pdf?dl=1

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Pat Davitt avatar image Pat Davitt commented ·

Need to get Margreet to revise her document then. She recommends ferrules for a "tidy job".

Pat

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ Pat Davitt commented ·

I agree with using ferrules for screw terminals - like she says.
Rising clamp terminals rely on the multiple strands to maximize the contact surface area.

I had revised my answer to clarify my meaning.

1 Like 1 ·
Pat Davitt avatar image Pat Davitt wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Your reply got me to thinking. So I did a little research online. I never knew the use of ferrules was controversial.

I agree with you that a correctly stripped and inserted wire works fine. That's what I did.

Pat

0 Likes 0 ·
Pat Davitt avatar image
Pat Davitt answered ·

I just stripped the wires the proper amount, inserted them into the connectors, and torqued the screws to the correct value. Just make sure all the strands go into the connector. If you want to go completely professional, get some 10AWG Ferrules (requires a special crimping tool) and crimp them to the wire ends.

Pat

1 comment
2 |3000

vomhorizon avatar image vomhorizon commented ·

I have tried 3 different types of 10 AWG ferrules and have not been able to get them to fit. 12 Gauge barely fit. This is just a poor design. Maybe they saved $.00002 cents in skimping out on terminal sizes. Good for them.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stephen Otto avatar image
Stephen Otto answered ·

As a follow-up, what gauge wire does Victron recommend for relays? Would 20 awg be fine?

2 |3000