question

dogec avatar image
dogec asked

[solved] Smart Shunt 500 firmware update got stuck at 44%

Yesterday I've tried to update firmware but the process has failed. This is my first unsuccessful firmware update attempt.

This firmware update was related to bluetooth improvements on the shunt but unfortunately caused the built-in BT got unusable.

Today I know more. Using the VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart dongle from my Blue Solar 100/20 I was able to connect the shunt. The update process was completed, and the shunt works well except BT what I didn't know yesterday.

I've done the factory reset but built-in BT still remains faulty. The blue and red LEDs blink alternating

I've created the service report and can send it if necessary.

So, is there a possibility to get the built-in BT to work ?

Thanks !

firmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @dogec

Reading your description, it looks like you started with an update of the internal BLE dongle, which failed at 44%. Then after you connected the VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart dongle, you successfully updated the SmartShunt part, but this update does not update the internal BLE dongle part. That can only be done using via a Bluetooth connection to the internal dongle. So the internal dongle is still in firmware update mode (this is signaled by the alternating red/blue LEDs) and the only way to fix this is by connecting to the internal dongle and restarting the update.

The first question is then whether the dongle is visible in VictronConnect. It will (probably) not show up as SmartShunt with its regular name but it will look like an external dongle with the name "SmartShunt BL HQxxxxxxxxx". You should then be able to connect to this internal dongle by clicking it (as you would normally do with the SmartShunt) and VictronConnect should then mention that the product needs to be updated. When this update succeeds, the SmartShunt should be visible again.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @dogec

I see that you accepted this answer. Does this also mean that you tried this and that it worked?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
dogec avatar image dogec Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Thank You Thiemo.

I'm very obliged to You. After 2 weeks of silence somebody from Victron has contacted me.

No I didn't try because my van is at a depot outside the city, but Your advice gives me the hope to solve the problem. At depot there are many campers with Victron devices visible in VictronConnect and I didn't pay attention to other devices.except mine.

My shunt is not more visible under given name and tomorrow will check if device HQ2214E6QEM is visible.

In the meantime I've received the new VictronConnect update and now also have the new firmware 4.14 for shunt, on my phone.

May I try to solve the problem updating the new firmware if don't find the HQ2214E6QEM device in VictronConnect ?

Best regards.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @dogec

Updating the shunt firmware to v4.14 will not resolve your problem with the internal dongle. The improvements in v4.14 are only for updates of the SmartShunt part itself. So it is not necessary to install that version.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
dogec avatar image dogec Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Hi Thiemo,

your advice was very helpful and my shunt is fully operable now.

I've considered (and possible many of us) any Victron device with built-in BT as one device with one firmware.

Your advice could help to many Victron device owners in the future.

Best regards,

Zarko

1 Like 1 ·
Hi @dogec ,

Good to hear that everything is working now.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
mikekulls avatar image mikekulls Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
It worked for me. The update was stuck at 77% on my phone, updating via bluetooth. The app was completely non responsive so I force closed the app, started it back up and it said I had a mandatory update. It then updated successfully but for some reason required a second update. After the second update it was all good. I presume this was the device firmware + bluetooth firmware they were talking about below.
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @MikeKulls

The 2 updates is indeed first an update of the internal dongle and then an update of the battery monitor.

Regarding the update and the unresponsive app: which VictronConnect version were you using?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
mikekulls avatar image mikekulls Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
v5.104 on Android
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @MikeKulls

We found an issue in VictronConnect that could lead to this behavior. A fix is not included in the v5.xx versions (only in the v6.0 beta).

Thanks you for reporting this issue.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen.

1 Like 1 ·
dogec avatar image
dogec answered ·

I'm very disappointed by Victron support.

I've been asking for advice only, more precisely, for one word: apply a new firmware to my half functional Victron shunt or not ?

But there is no help.

Instead, sales@victronenergy.com has directed me to ask help from the seller.

The seller doesn't respond, of course.

What can expect if ask for service or replacement ? My device is 6 months old and covered by warranty.

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
This isn't a support site. It's purpose is clear in the guidelines.

In-country support is provided by the distributor who supplies your supplier.

You can find out who that is by logging a ticket via professional.victronenergy.com

Always a good reason to choose a reputable supplier.

0 Likes 0 ·
dogec avatar image dogec nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Thank You for advice.

I know what an community site is. My comment was not complain against this site. I was just disappointed with Victron.
0 Likes 0 ·