question

andrevv01 avatar image
andrevv01 asked

Victron VE.Can RJ45 terminator burns on both ends

I want to know if someone else has encountered the same issue. Between my cerbo GX and MPPT 450/100 - Tr runs a RJ45 data cable with Victron terminators on the cerbo and MPPT side in the open VE.Can connection port. After a few seconds the one terminator starts burning/melting on the MPPT side and not long after on the cerbo side as well.

What I have tried so far:

- I replaced the terminators with new one, no difference

- I tested the cable between cerbo and MPPT, Cable terminations is good and there is no damage to the cable

- Changed to a different MPPT to see whether it could be on the MPPT, no difference

I hope someone will be able to assist me with this matter.

Thank you in advance

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Jons Collasius avatar image
Jons Collasius answered ·

Check the polarity of any dc connection. Then check again. Have you connected the solar array and the battery to the right terminals? If not, you may have PV voltage on the VE.CAN...

"To provide maximum flexibility, the battery voltage is used for the V+ supply line of VE.CAN. This means that all equipment connected to VE.CAN are a permanent load to the battery."

"The CAN bus on this charger is not galvanically isolated. The CAN bus is referenced to the minus battery connection."

How is your system grounded? Anything minus or plus to ground. Should be minus.

Did you ground the PV? Don't do that, ground only the panel frames to earth, not the string.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.