question

bipedalprimate avatar image
bipedalprimate asked

Anyone with a Grid Tied Victron system in Australia or NZ?

Is there anyone in this community that has a Grid Tied Victron system that is subject to the regulation requirements in Australia or New Zealand?

I would like to understand what you did & how it was done.

For example:

1. Did you have to use a Grid Protection Relay? What Make/Model? Did that satisfy electrical inspection?
  2. Are you doing any grid feed in of excess solar?
  3. Do you have diagram of the install that you are willing to share?
  4. Which Grid Code Selection did you make in VE Config? N-bypass or No N-Bypass? How did that decision impact your distribution wiring or bypass/isolation switching?
  5. Any other features of the install that Victron documentation doesn't cover?

Hoping to start a discussion around what has worked & what doesn't work.

Multiplus-IIMultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi Yes

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bipedalprimate avatar image bipedalprimate commented ·
Any thoughts on the questions above?
0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie bipedalprimate commented ·
Hi

In NZ you can still use the Multiplus 2 under the 2015 4777 rules as the 2020 rules are still not ratified here.

Yes to all the above.

0 Likes 0 ·
svnrex avatar image
svnrex answered ·

I tried to have a grid-tied 3-phase Mutiplus II Vicrton system in rural NSW, but even with a Grid Protection Relay, my installer is confident it will not pass inspection. So I've opted for a Fronius inverter hoping Vicrton will pull their finger out and get certified before I get batteries.

2 comments
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi

That won't happen, The Fronius has limited backup power only 3 kw.

The grid protection relay is your safe guard and approved all over the world to be used in the applications.

Regards
Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
bipedalprimate avatar image bipedalprimate Rob Duthie commented ·
I have found a local electrician (West Gippsland) that will install Victron MPII with a Grid Protection Relay and Fronius Primo on MPII AC-In (for now - change to AC-Out later).

I assume he will not being going ahead without having discussed it with his usual inspector.

0 Likes 0 ·
svnrex avatar image
svnrex answered ·

I checked today and found the CEC certification for the Multiplus II ends on 19/07/2023.

Not sure what this is going to mean for even the limited install we can currently do.

1 comment
2 |3000

​Hi

As above post.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
negawatts avatar image
negawatts answered ·

Any Answer on CEC Approval after 19th July yet?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi

It wont happen from Victrons point of view, just install a grid protection relay, to over come the rules.

0 Likes 0 ·