question

conceptura avatar image
conceptura asked

What is the purpose of the battery protect product?

If Victron inverters have inbuilt battery protect what is the purpose of the battery protect device?

Further as different batteries have different required protection levels how does the inbuilt protection know what type of battery one is running?

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

To serve as a protection device for battery connected DC loads. Folks run more than just an inverter off their battery. I power a MiniPC and Wifi access point via a 48-12V converter directly attached to the battery.

While chemistries and batteries are different, the cut-off points for batteries used in 12, 24, and 48V systems are typically very similar.

One can select from a wide range of presets or use USER DEFINED:

1680094800099.png

1680094800099.png (68.8 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

conceptura avatar image conceptura commented ·
Thanks for your answer. Mystery solved. I nowhave 2 of these devices to resell as I don't need them I guess. Do you happen to know what the default voltage cut-off is as I don't have the VE Connect as I suppose it requires purchasing an expensive bluetooth device or dongle. thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler conceptura commented ·

Not sure of the defaults.

Smart BP have bluetooth. Should only need a smartphone/tablet with VictronConnect installed.

If you have non Smart BP, check the manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery_protect/battery-protect#manuals

0 Likes 0 ·