question

offgridsa avatar image
offgridsa asked

BlueSolar MPPT 150/85 CAN-bus batrium BMS

Commissioning a offgrid system with a Quatro 48/8000, Bluesolar MPPT 150/85 CAN, Batrium , Colour Control GX, watchmon 4 BMS, 16x400ah prismatic LIFEPO4 cells.

To date I have had the Bluesolar MPPT 150/85 intergrate with the CCGX over CAN and all is working as expected. I have also had the Batrium BMS working with the CCGX over CAN and display data as expected. All of the settings in the batrium software and the Victron software have been tweaked to comply with my BMS and lithium battery parameters. Good start.

The first issue came up when I looked into connecting both the Bluesolar MPPT 150/85 and the Batrium BMS to the CCGX over CAN. From what I later found out this isn't possible. Only one or the other can be connected. (shame as the Batrium BMS needs to talk to the CCGX and then the CCGX needs to talk to Bluesolar MPPT 150/85 to be of any use)

From what I can see if I was to use a Venus GX I could connect the two at the same time as it has two CAN inputs.

Though Befor I go out and purchase a Venus GX for this reason. I would like to first confirm the above is correct?

The second critical question is Will the Bluesolar Mppt 150/85 charge output be controlled by the via the Venus GX (as in if I set a limit of 1A battery charge current for bypass balancing ) is the Venus GX going to have control of the BlueSolar MPPT 150/85 and have it limit its charge so the shunt only shows 1A battery input?

I can see the Quatro's charger is being controlled so assume the PV chargers are going to be to. Though has anyone had experience with them and a batrium system controlling a Victron PV charge controllers output to confirm this?

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hello OffgridSA,

The VenusGX has two CANbus interfaces, and will display the information of both. But that is not enough.

The tall VE.Can MPPT with the screen is NOT compatible with CANbus battery controls, even with the VenusGX.

It will NOT respond to the signal sent by the GX via DVCC to reduce charge voltage or current.

The VE.Direct MPPT's will.

There is a possibility to use VE.Can MPPT's (with screens) with the allow to charge terminals, but this is not recommend. I would strongly suggest NOT using the VE.Can MPPTs (with screens) with managed lithium battery systems.

Follow this list, and the instructions inside for each for reliable, compatible systems:

Victron List of Battery Compatibility

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

offgridsa avatar image
offgridsa answered ·

Thanks guy that's saved me a lot of trouble. That's a shame the 85/150 CANBUS isn't DVCC controllable.

I Guess a workaround could be to use VE Direct MPPT along side of the 85/150 CANBUS MPPT to take over the final balancing stage. Slightly lower absorb and float setting so it just helps with the grunt work.

2 |3000

joel-rynne avatar image
joel-rynne answered ·

ext.png (25.6 KiB)
ext-2.png (20.0 KiB)
2 |3000