question

miami337 avatar image
miami337 asked

inverter output frequency

I'm using US power (230v @60hz) and I plan to install a quattro 230v 5k with my 24v battery. Question is, even if I'm supplying 60hz to the inverter/charger from shore, can I program/set the inverter to outupt 50hz to my boat? (it's French built but now here in the US). Thanks for your help.

frequency
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

When the Quattro is in inverter only mode (bypass relay open) then it will output 50Hz. When mains is present and the bypass relay closes then the 60Hz will be passed through to the output.

The only way around this is to have a separate charger to charge the battery bank from the 60Hz supply whilst the Quattro inverts at 50Hz.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

moonlightrider avatar image moonlightrider commented ·

Can't what @miami337 want work with 'Ignore AC'?... charger accepts 60Hz and the inverter is always running outputting 230v 50Hz?

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B moonlightrider commented ·

yes it will, if you ignor ac 1 in and thats 60 Hz then the output will be 50z as soon as you turn the AC1 in on then it will sync and the output would become 60Hz, then turn AC1 in off and the inverter will change back to 50Hz

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ moonlightrider commented ·

Yes, but then it will not charge. It is not possible for the converter to invert and charge at the same time.
Pass AC through and charge or ignore AC and invert.

0 Likes 0 ·
moonlightrider avatar image moonlightrider wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

I'm sorry, but now I'm a bit confused too.

From where the inverter takes power if we use 'Ignore AC input' VS, battery or grid?

0 Likes 0 ·
Jon S avatar image Jon S moonlightrider commented ·

This thread went no where. :-) I am interested in the answer as I have same issue.

Is is not possible to configure all AC loads to run off the inverter and the charger running while connected to shore power or generator running?

What is the draw back to this configuration fully understanding there is risk of running batteries dead if not connected to shore power or a generator? Would this put more strain on the batteries if the AirCon is running while shore power or generator are running?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
ben avatar image ben ♦ Jon S commented ·

It's not possible if the input is 50Hz and the output must be 60Hz, or vice versa, no.

The device only operates at one frequency for either or both functions.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

If you install a Multi or a quattro unit and set it to be 230v 50Hz then when 230v 50Hz is connected the passthrough will be 230 and 50Hz and it will charge your battery.

If the 230v 50Hz is disconected then the inverter will supply 230v 50Hz by using the Battery

then if the AC input becomes 230v 60 Hz the inverter will sync to the 60Hz and the Passthrough will be 230v 60Hz to the whole boat and the Battery will be charged.

Now as soon as the 230V 60Hz mains power is diconected then the inverter will take over at 230V 50Hz by using the battery thus the boat will go back to the default 50Hz setting in the inverter

If you do the reverse ie set the inverter to be 230v 60Hz then the same applys as above but when the AC in is not connected then it will be suppliying 230 v 60Hz by using the battery

Same applies if you have the 120 volt Multi or Quattro version as well

2 |3000

ortessa avatar image
ortessa answered ·

I have a beginner's question before buying the Multiplus 11 in Australia.

In Australia approved electrical products are generally 50hz. My boat is American and genset and appliances are all 60hz.

Can I program an Australian purchased Multiplus 11 inverter to only output at 60hz when using the battery?

Thank you.

1 comment
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

yes you can 230v 50 hz or 230v 60hz when using the battery power

also if you connect shore power in aust then it will change back to 50hz and charge the battery, and output 50hz to the boat

once shore power is disconnect it will switch back to 60hz

NOTE most 220v 60hz appliances will also work on 230v 50hz without issue

exceptions are usually only washing machines,

0 Likes 0 ·
ortessa avatar image
ortessa answered ·

Thank you for the answers. I have a couple more questions for our boat installation in Australia.

We will buy custom made 3 x 100ah 48v lithium battery packs and put in parallel. These are not Victron batteries.

Can we program the 48v Multiplus 11 to specific bulk and float voltages? How do I do this programming? Do I need additional components / parts to do this programming?

Thank you.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic