question

ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble asked

Not enough VE.Direct ports - CCGX, 2xMPPTs, + BMV-712

So I have spent a couple hours looking for an answer to this. I found some good information but nothing definitive. Here is my situation...I am not getting useful battery monitoring from my CCGX with my 2xQuattros set to battery monitoring.

I want to use my CCGX for monitoring my system, especially using the remote console.

I have both CCGX VE.Direct ports used for my two MPPTs (both are 150/70, one has a CAN).

I have a BMV-712 that I can hook up to the CCGX but it requires a VE.Direct port on the CCGX, both of which are used for my MPPTs.

But I have read where one of my MPPTs (the newer unit with CAN connection) can be connected to the CCGX via a CAN port, that frees up one of the VE Direct ports for the BMV-712.

My question...Has anybody else done this and how did it work out?

And...Any other advice or suggestions for this situation? (Please don't suggest a Gerbo, wide says I am over budget already.)

CCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj answered ·

I have 4x SmartShunts and 5xSmartSolar MPPTs all on ve.direct. I just used USB to ve.direct adapters (and 2 USB hubs). Not pretty but works perfectly.

Victron Energy VE.Direct to USB interface https://amzn.eu/d/7Z5omVp

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ahtrimble avatar image ahtrimble commented ·
I looked into that and thought that might be a solution but I wanted to hear from someone who had actually done it.

So with the interface cable...the cable's VE.Direct end goes into the CCGX VE.Direct port. Then attach a USB hub to the cable's USB end. Then each VE.Direct device (in my case the MPPTs) gets its own interface cable connected into the hub. Does that sound right?

0 Likes 0 ·
semlohnhoj avatar image semlohnhoj ahtrimble commented ·
No, you connect the USB end of the adapter into the CCGX and the other end with the ve.direct connector into your MPPT/Shunt. I only used the USB hub because I needed more USB ports coming out of the CCGX to plug in the USB to be.direct adapters.
1 Like 1 ·
ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

OK, I think I have it. I would disconnect one of the MPPT's, use the adapter cable to to plug into the open CCGX USB port, then plug the MPPT into the VE.Direct port on the adapter cable. That then frees up a VE.Direct port for the BVM712 connection which is VE.Direct.

Sorry, for writing that all out...it helps me get the visual in my head.

Can I ask why you have four SmartShunts, how are you using them?

2 |3000

semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj answered ·
I have three banks of four 12V LifePo4 batteries and no BMS to monitor them so I use one Smart Shunt for each of the three banks of batteries and a fourth shunt that measures the total current of all the banks. I needed the fourth because you can't get the Cerbo to use the sum of the other three. It's overkill but I wanted to be able to log the current being drawn from each bank to make sure they were all being used evenly.
2 |3000

ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

Great idea!! I am kind of a info junkie too. Nice to hear you thinking outside of the box.

You really helped me! Thank you :)

2 |3000

Holger Watermann avatar image
Holger Watermann answered ·

There are USB to 4 Serial Ports available - look for TTY ones. Or better, safer but more costly USB-Hubs x 8 with Victron ve.direct Devices.

2 |3000