question

boater avatar image
boater asked

Controlling/Viewing Cerbo GX w/out a GX touch?

Hi, I already have a 16" touchscreen on board. It has video-in via HDMI and touchscreen-out via USB. Can I use this screen to control a Cerbo GX? I'd prefer not to add another device like a GX touch if I don't have to.

If I haven't given enough information about my screen to know whether it is a compatible controller for the Cerbo GX, what additional information do I need?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
awalkerinuk avatar image
awalkerinuk answered ·

Make Model and resolution would help to clarify if it will work as a GX touch.

There are a few other threads I have seen on here regarding the same issue. I think it came down to if it worked with the same linux driver used by the cerbo for the touch. But cant remmeber exactly.

Worth a search.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boater avatar image
boater answered ·

Rather than give you the make model & resolution, could someone describe what the requirements are for things like resolution, and any other requirements there might be. I think it would be more useful to me as well as other people.

3 comments
2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird commented ·
The integration with the MFD can be achieved a few ways and the integration is pretty well documented. Each MFD has their own way of handling it. The usb touch screen output from the MFD is interesting but the CerboGX data is transferred over the HDMI link, not the USB. The USB port is used for power only. You would need to integrate your USB output from the MFD onto the HDMI interface.

The detail is available to do this but you would need to delve into the Venus software forum in the “modifications” space to learn more.

0 Likes 0 ·
boater avatar image boater Trevor Bird commented ·
I understand that the touch goes over HDMI w/the gx touch devices, and the USB port next to the HDMI port is power only, but my understanding is that you can use one of the other USB ports to send touch information to when using a touchscreen other than gx touch. Is this not accurate?
0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird boater commented ·
@Boater …yes, you may well be right so sorry if I missed that point. I haven’t personally done that but I guess it does make sense. That would certainly make what you are trying to achieve much more simple to achieve.
0 Likes 0 ·
hominidae avatar image
hominidae answered ·

...you could as well use a smal SBC computer with HDMI-out and LAN interface (like an rPi) as intermediate, running Linux and WebBrowser in kiosk mode (and possibly use more apps with the same Monitor/Touch).

2 comments
2 |3000

boater avatar image boater commented ·
Thanks, not what I'm looking to do though. I am wondering if I can connect directly to the cerbo gx.
0 Likes 0 ·
hominidae avatar image hominidae boater commented ·
....at the end, it'll be all about the right linux drivers for touch and HDMI-out, including resolution management, installed and set-up with VenusOS, I think.

And if this would be considerd a modification that violates warranty & support.

...using an rPi as intermediate is a non invasive action and a smaller one can be powered from the Cerbo USB, I think....or use/split the DC-PowerIn cable of the Cerbo and a buck-converter from 12/24/48/60V (whatever it is i your case) to 5V.

0 Likes 0 ·