question

jpetzrick avatar image
jpetzrick asked

Control MPPT relay via Ruuvi temperature in node red?

Here is what I want to do- Switch the relay on my Smartsolar 150/70 based on a Ruuvi temp. I have the setup in place and I can switch it manually in the settings on SS150/70. One of the settings on the relay is by "Temperature (dimming)". What does that mean? What's dimming and where is it getting the temperature from? I'm just learning node red and have a few working flows so a total nubie. How do I get to the temperature from the Ruuvi? Is there a Ruuvi node I need to add? I haven't tried yet to control the relay from node red. I just got it installed yesterday. It seems like it should be fairly simple- Get the Ruuvi temp, if >##* then switch relay state. Reverse to turn off. Any body done this?

Raspberry PiRelayruuvi sensors
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

xsilvergs avatar image xsilvergs commented ·
Have you install the GX Large Image on the RPi? If not what?
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
jpetzrick avatar image
jpetzrick answered ·

Yes, Venus OS large ver 2.92 on RPi 4 8 gig. Took a bit to get the 7" touch screen I bought working, but eventually got that working with Setup helper and some detective work. I dug into Node Red because I like programming. I have a few flows working and hope to do more now that I have everything installed (yesterday) in the motorhome. I even got the USB GPS working and the position shows up on the dashboard. I just looked deeper at the nodes available from Victron and I think the standard ones can see the Ruuvi temperature. I haven't tried it yet. I just want to turn a fan on in the electric bay when the Inverter heats up. Its not a Victron inverter so it complicates it a little. I think I will figure it out and report back.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

xsilvergs avatar image
xsilvergs answered ·

There is a Victron Node named "Temperature Sensor" which should see your Ruuvi Tag. This image shows the node in the side-bar. I think you should be able to switch a gpio pin on the RPi to drive a relay board with a 3v3 input, I've found such a board on ebay in the past.

1679516465887.png

1679516465887.png (9.9 KiB)
2 |3000

jpetzrick avatar image
jpetzrick answered ·

I found the temp node and I can read the Ruuvi temp ok. I used a funtion to check the temp against a reference and can change the msg to 1 or 0 (on/off). It works in the debug. I then fed this to a Controller change function but nothing happens. I read you must set the relay to manual but there is no such option on the SS150/70 via Victron Connect. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to go the route of GPIO + Relay? Can anyone explain the Temp(Dim) option on the SS150/70 relay state option?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image