question

Craig Chamberlain avatar image
Craig Chamberlain asked

Backing board material for SmartSolar MPPT?

Hi,

I'm about to install a pair of SmartSolar MPPT 150/60 units for my solar array and wondered if plywood is a suitable backing board material given the operating temperatures of these units? I have my Multiplus-II 48/5000/70-50 mounted on plywood but it doesn't really get that hot and is spaced off the wall somewhat due to the bracket and screw fixings.

I'm not sure exactly how hot the MPPTs get in operation but I've seen suggestions that it can be 70-80C. I'm pretty confident it would take a lot more than this to ignite or even scorch plywood but should I be looking to install a piece of aqua board or similar? Or can I simply install some spacers beneath the fixing points to avoid direct contact between heat sink and wall?

Thanks,

Craig.

MPPT SmartSolartemperature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Jons Collasius avatar image
Jons Collasius answered ·

As stated in the manual:

"Mount the solar charger vertically on a non-flammable substrate"

Plywood is flamable and therefor not suitable.

Nevertheless, many people screw their equipment onto OSB or plywood and have not yet burnt it down. In the end, you have to decide for yourself.

A calcium silicate board on OSB might be a better choice.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain commented ·
Thanks, yes I saw that in the manual which is what triggered my question. I know plywood will ignite at a high enough temperature but it's pretty hard to actual set on fire even with something like a blow torch.

Maybe I'll try to get a thin sheet of heat resistant board of some sort and just drill through it to use the plywood for the actual fixings.

0 Likes 0 ·
waninae39 avatar image
waninae39 answered ·

i use 12mm or 18mm Baltic birch ply.

never had an issue.

plus it looks very cool when done

1 comment
2 |3000

Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain commented ·
Yeah, I'm not sure what type of plywood mine is but I got it from a good timber merchant in 2400x1200mm sheets. It's much better than the horrible warped stuff you tend to get in local hardware stores. I know it's pretty resistant to heat and we're only taking about temperatures less than 100C worst case so should be fine I think.

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

I had my 150/70 mounted on 3/4" OSB. When I did my upgrade last week I took all the gear down, added 1/4" Hardee Backer board. Now I sleep better at night.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic