question

rubicon avatar image
rubicon asked

Best way to power Touch 50

I installed a Touch 50 and had to extend the HDMI cable and power for the USB. The unit works fine with both extended connections. The HDMI is plugged into the Cerbo GX. However, do to the distance between the Cerbo and Touch 50, I used 14/2 Ancor wire attached to a Blue Sea USB socket for powering the device.

Now for the question. Since I had a 12v panel with fuses, I connected the new 14/2 power cable to the 12v panel instead of the bus bars like the Cerbo. I originally liked this option because I could easily add a 3amp fuse to protect the Touch 50. It’s important to note that this panel is turned on an off by a separate “coach battery” switch. It’s the same switch that powers the refrigerator and other 12v outlets. The Cerbo power cable is attached to the positive and negative bus bars. When I turn on the main DC switch, the Cerbo is powered on. I have since been advised, that I should move the 14/2 cable powering the Touch 50 over to the bus bars, same as the Cerbo GX. This way both devices will power up at the same time - when the main switch is turned on.

Should I move the 14/2 power cable from the 12v panel controlled by a separate switch to the bus bars or leave it as is? Is it best for both devices to be turned on at the same exact time? Should I just leave the Touch 50 power cable attached to the 12v “coach battery” circuit?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Personally, I would move the GX Touch power to the same source as Cerbo. That way you will always have a display and control for Cerbo even with your 12v system turned off.

But it may work just fine as is. I would experiment booting Cerbo with the display not powered then power it after Cerbo is fully booted. If that works, then I'd say it's not essential to move it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rubicon avatar image rubicon commented ·
If I move the Touch 50 power source over to the bus bars, should I install an inline fuse? If so, what style of inline fuse is best?
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

ALWAYS fuse circuits to protect wiring against shorts. The fuse goes closest to the largest fault current, so the bus bar in your case. For a small current draw, any fuse style should be fine. Automotive fuses would work in this case.

1 comment
2 |3000

rubicon avatar image rubicon commented ·
Do you know how many amps the Touch draws? I’m thinking a 2 amp slow blow fuse???
0 Likes 0 ·