question

rubicon avatar image
rubicon asked

Power for Touch 50

I am installing a Touch 50 and need to extend the USB power cable. I purchased a USB socket and attached 14/2 wire to the terminals. Can I attach the 14/2 gauge wire with ring terminals directly to the positive and negative power bars of my system? Is an inline fuse needed or required on the positive line?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The GX Touch displays need 5 volts, so no you can't connect directly to battery. There are many DC to DC converters that provide a USB A connector as output and are 5 volts. There are many different voltage ranges for the input. Pick one with the proper range.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rubicon avatar image rubicon commented ·
Thank you for the reply. On my install, I ran a 14/2 wire attached to a Blue Sea USB socket located near the Touch 50 for power. It’s located appropriately 14ft from the Cerbo. I currently have it connected to my 12v panel with a 3 amp fuse. A separate power switch controls the power feed to the 12v system. I was advised to move the line over to the same power supply as the Cerbo. The Cerbo is connected to the main power bar after the main on/off switch. When the main switch is turned on, the Cerbo and Touch 50 will be powered on. As you know, the Cerbo has an inline fuse. I was advised to simply attach the positive and negative wires feeding the USB socket to the same bus bars/power bars as the Cerbo. I definitely don’t want to fry anything. Do I still need a DC converter?
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem rubicon commented ·
The Blue Sea USB socket is the converter. You'll be fine
0 Likes 0 ·